Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dirt 4

• 02-05-2017 4:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭

After picking up Dirt Rally recently, raging I have missed out on the launch day shenanigans. Will definitely be picking this up Day 1. Looks like it will be 55-60 in Argos, £45 on TheGameCollection. Launch day/preorders look to come with a Hyundai car, team boost and access to a Hyundai event launch weekend.

Release date - Friday 9th June

2 handling modes - Gamer & Sim. Gamer like the old Dirt games, Sim like Dirt Rally. Devs said both have been improved upon.

Career Mode. Start as a hired driver until you make enough money to start your own team. Create a team name, colours, apply liveries & hire engineers. Gain sponsors and apply to your car to get extra money. The career mode will have pre-generated courses getting longer and more difficult the further you get into it.

Cross platform leaderboards. This is great as well especially on here. I'm just not sure if someone can create a league on PS4 and then have people on xbox and pc sign up for it. Hope it's that, would make for some very busy leagues on here.

Trophy List:
    http://www.playstationtrophies.org/game/dirt-4/trophies/

'The Nightman Cometh' - Devs are Always Sunny in Philadelphia fans :D

It's really strange why Fearless is locked, hopefully it's unlocked from the start at launch

6UomxdD.png

'Your Stage', a new feature to generate a near infinite amount of tracks. Create tracks, set times and share with your friends. Should be a great feature for a league as it puts everyone on level ground, no memorising courses.

Gameplay footage from Dirtfish, the open world level for practice and challenge runs.

Be Fearless trailer

Gameplay footage from 3 different races

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Looking forward to this, I just hope they leave out all the bling bling crap from previous dirt games.

Once the sim mode is as good as Dirt Rally ill be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It will be an interesting title. Won't be buying it day one though that's for sure.

Any word on whether it will have VR support?

No wont be a day one purchase for me either, far too many excellent sim titles already that cover everything one could possibly want in simracing, not to mention other genres I enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

ScumLord wrote: »
    It will be an interesting title. Won't be buying it day one though that's for sure.

Any word on whether it will have VR support?

It won't have it initially they said but may come in the future.

Doge wrote: »
    It won't have it initially they said but may come in the future.
    They seemed to be able to add the feature pretty quick on PC so that wouldn't worry me too much. It may not be possible with sonys VR though, it seems games need to be made specifically for VR on the consoles because of the limited processing power.

Dirt Rally was built on an old engine though as far as I know so it left plenty of processing power over for VR, I don't know if that would be the case with dirt 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Looking forward to this one. I'll buy it once I finish F1 2016 (which is great) and that means reviews can let me know if it runs well on PC. Excited for this, Dirt Rally was great and I hope they build well on that and it sounds like they are, as well as including the traditional Dirt handling.. hope this is a good game and it sells well.
    Cross platform leaderboards will be good for on here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

I noticed Dirt 4 being streamed on twitch.

https://www.twitch.tv/vajbtv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I liked the IGN review, sounds a really good game. Hopefully they add another location or two down the line, but it sounds good.

Im hearing sim mode is not what dirt rally and sim fans were hoping for.

• Advertisement

The reviews don't really say much from a sim perspective yet, most are describing it as the hard mode rather than speaking about how good or bad it is as a rally simulator.

I really don't trust the big boys the likes of IGN, I will listen to them but take everything with a big pinch of sponsored salt. Even the likes of inside sim racing on youtube have gone full blown promotion company. I think it's just a side effect of having to produce so much content all the time.

The ACG review said it's not as hardcore in Sim Mode without even bothering to give reasons why.

This review seems more positive about the physics but didn't really go in depth either.

Doge wrote: »
    The ACG review said it's not as hardcore in Sim Mode without even bothering to give reasons why.
    Ya it's a bit odd, it's like trying to sell a car telling the person "it's faster" but avoiding any mention of the specifications of the car.

My guess is that means the physics isn't all that good, like saying it's not quite as good as dirt rally doesn't make a whole lot of sense, physics don't really work on a slider from realistic to arcade, the developer is either trying to make a realistic sim and failing to a degree, or trying to make some entertainment that looks good.

It's possible down the line that they'll just put dirt rally physics into the game along with VR support if they get enough complaints.

Damn, I had heard they physics improved on Dirt Rally especially on tarmac. Now I'm not sure what to expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

If anyone is playing this on ps4, add me. PSN hoorhouse

Would like to get some perspective of how bad I am at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Just released on pc now! Gonna be a long night :D

Enjoying it so far but it's getting a lot of negative reviews on steam. Managed to get the world record on a stage :D Though it will probably be beaten fairly quickly.

IMG_5191.jpg

Ciano35 wrote: »
    Enjoying it so far but it's getting a lot of negative reviews on steam. Managed to get the world record on a stage :D Though it will probably be beaten fairly quickly.

IMG_5191.jpg

Are you using gamer or Sim controls? What is the ai difficulty like! I saw a lot of streamers making mistakes but still being in 1st, not sure of the difficulty they were on. The mixed reviews have me on the fence.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Are you using gamer or Sim controls? What is the ai difficulty like! I saw a lot of streamers making mistakes but still being in 1st, not sure of the difficulty they were on. The mixed reviews have me on the fence.

Sim controls with no assists except for light abs. I only have the ai difficulty set to 2/4 because I wanted to get into the game first but I'm destroying them by 20-30 seconds every stage so I'm going to change that.

I'm not really sure yet if I would recommend it, I only use it for the rally side and I'm enjoying it but from what I've read the landrush and rallycross modes are lacking content. You can completely avoid those game modes in career which I like because I have no interest in landrush.

I'm liking 'Your stage' but I am finding that even though the tracks are never the same, the turns are, if that makes any sense. Like you could have 2 completely different stages, but they both could have identical hairpin turns. It doesn't really bother me though and I've only noticed it a couple of times.

I think I would recommend buying it, but it is ?55. You can get it for ?35 on cdkeys though.

Looks like everyone that bought it on the official Assetto Corsa forum have already asked for a refund. Saying it's gone back to early dirt physics, driving on dirt physics are worse but road physics are better although the traction has been described as snap on/off.

• Advertisement

Getting opinions and reviews from the sim crowd its not looking good.
    Many on sim community forums report playing for the 2 hours steam allows before a refund and then activating their refund.

General consensus is No they have not given us Dirt Rally physics,its pretty dumbed down by comparison which is a real shame for simulation enthusiasts but i wasnt expecting anything different.
    Once it had Dirt with a number in the title it was always going to be one to appeal to the casual gamer,Dirt rally is an entirely different beast.

Ill be sticking with Dirt Rally for my rallying sim enjoyment and Automobilista for Rally cross sim enjoyment, yes DR has rallycross but physics are nowehere near as good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Played a bit last night, not feeling it. It could be because Wipeout is so good and not a fair comparison. Way too easy on the recommended settings. I'll try making it harder.

000c3ee6-572.jpg

If it is watered down sim physics I really hope we see a Dirt Rally 2 and not a continuation of combining the two and watering it down.

Decided to try it for myself and yes its as bad as the sim community are saying.
    While playing it all i wanted to do was play Dirt Rally which says it all really.
    If you own DR dont waste your money on this, got my refund.

Really shocking effort from codemasters after the brilliant Dirt Rally.

Heres an honest interview about the handling with Chief Designer of dirt 4.

Looks loke they are listening to the feedback and want to improve on the handling as long as people give them constructive criticism.

If they can make the necessary changes it could blossom into something good.

So hes basically admitting the game or certain parts of it were rushed out the door and not complete.

They probably hoped it wouldnt be noticed but now the community are complaining they bring this to light and admit failings.

Only now they talk about sitting down with rally drivers :rolleyes:

A couple of people giving away 20% discount codes for this on PSN store

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057233086&page=481

I'm holding off until it drops further in price though, pity, was really looking forward to it but more negatives than positives from what I'm hearing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Dcully wrote: »
    Decided to try it for myself and yes its as bad as the sim community are saying.
    While playing it all i wanted to do was play Dirt Rally which says it all really.
    If you own DR dont waste your money on this, got my refund.

Really shocking effort from codemasters after the brilliant Dirt Rally.

I've played so many codemasters driving games since TOCA on the PS1, I think codemasters are the most frustrating game developers out there. If it was a school report for them it would read "Has the ability but won't put in the effort. Must try harder."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,112 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Cienciano wrote: »
    I've played so many codemasters driving games since TOCA on the PS1, I think codemasters are the most frustrating game developers out there. If it was a school report for them it would read "Has the ability but won't put in the effort. Must try harder."

What a game Toca was back in the day!!

Might give this a whirl later in the year.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
Advertisement