Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2009 Civic TypeS 2.2cdti revving problem

Options
  • 02-05-2017 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi All,
    I drive a 2.2 tdi honda civic and I have been having some issue with it when driving.
    When i accelerate in any gear on the motorway, once it hits 2k revs it shoots all the way up to 3k revs and goes back to 2k revs. The car doesn't move or anything, the revs just shoot up. There is also a slight loss of power when this happens. It almost sounds like its an automatic changing gear.
    The clutch appears ok as i got this checked.
    This issue was happening around Christmas time and now it has returned.

Anybody any suggestions in what this could be?
    Thanks.
    Ken
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It still does sounds to me like your clutch is slipping from what you describe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Kenbradymtb

Thanks for the reply. I was told that if it was the clutch the revs would shoot all the way up when I accelerate but it only does this between 2 and 3k revs. If I were to bring the car to a clutch and gearbox centre could they do any test or would they try shaft me by saying its deffo the clutch. I'm afraid if I spend all the money on a new clutch and this is not the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If the engine speed is going up and the speed isn't, then it's probably the clutch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

I third the clutch suggestion, it cant be much else

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

x4

It's almost certainly the clutch. Seems to happen when your car is coming onto boost, I.E. The turbo has spooled up, so bags of torque are appearing out of nowhere and causing the clutch to slip (revs rising without speed increasing)

Yes, pretty much every mechanic out there should be able to check your clutch within seconds of driving it, where are you located? Perhaps a boardsie can do a check for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I had a Civic with that engine and it was indeed the clutch. Had an Indy replace it, didn't need to change the flywheel, cost about ?400.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If its the same clutch as the Accord with the N22 engine, they have a self-adjusting mechanism that needs to be set up correctly when fitted.
    The OEM is a LUK IIRC.

Advertisement