Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denis O'Brien ordered to pay legal costs

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Probably take it from his back pocket.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Meanwhile the outlook is a dry week and settled over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Hope WWN take another swipe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Hope WWN take another swipe.

He he he he

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Probably take it from his back pocket.

You're probably right.

I really dislike that man.

It is my opinion that:
    [REDACTED]

It is also my opinion that:
    [REDACTED]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

grahambo wrote: »
    You're probably right.

I really dislike that man.
    Have you the financial resources to defend yourself when he comes after you for defamation?

You have to bear in mind that he is very litigious, and has deep pockets.

Have you the financial resources to defend yourself when he comes after you for defamation?

Jesus!

I better edit that!!

Jesus!

I better edit that!!

It's my opinion is no defence.

You can say O'Brien gave money to Lowry, and Lowry helped O'Brien. Because they were the findings of the now almost forgotten Moriarty Tribunal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 272 ✭✭Stars and Stripes

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/denis-obrien-ordered-to-pay-1m-in-court-costs-787943.html

The audacity of this fella never ceases to amaze me.

First off he takes legal action against the State of Dail utterances.
    And then when he loses, he expects the tax payer to pick up the bill!

Absolutely delighted he has to pay, even if €1 million is a drop in the ocean for him
    He will write off his legal expenses against taxes so it costs him nothing (the few he even pays). Therefore it's free legal aid for the richest people in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

People like O'Brien often take court cases not to win them, but to cripple the other side with court costs. Good to see for once this tactic didn't work but more often than not, they'll be going after someone that can't afford to defend themselves in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

and he cannot expect to take blood from a turnip, if the person he sues has not got way of paying he looses again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Apparently he is also TERRIFIED of snipers because he has a "big head"

The "man" is an arsewipe

It's my opinion is no defence.

You can say O'Brien gave money to Lowry, and Lowry helped O'Brien. Because they were the findings of the now almost forgotten Moriarty Tribunal.
    which we were told by someone who tells porkies that that report would not be allowed to geather dust under their tenure, correct it seems as it looks as if has fell into the fire

cajonlardo wrote: »
    Apparently he is also TERRIFIED of snipers because he has a "big head"

The "man" is an arsewipe
    some one reported one time that he has to go to texas for his headgear, as they cannot get his correct size in malta, the texans claimed that any hat size over their 10 gallon one had to be for a special and scarce type customer

He will write off his legal expenses against taxes so it costs him nothing (the few he even pays). Therefore it's free legal aid for the richest people in the country. (the few he even pays), so therefore it's free legal aid for the richest people in the country.
    There is no tax rebate or credit for individual legal fees, and since it was a case taken by an individual, there is no deductible allowance in terms of company expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,506 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Jesus!

I better edit that!!

I edited it again.

Please be wary of Irish libel law. In cases like this, stating these as being your own opinion doesn't matter; boards.ie still hosts the opinion and is libel as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

He will write off his legal expenses against taxes so it costs him nothing (the few he even pays). Therefore it's free legal aid for the richest people in the country.

I've seen this said before but surely it can't be correct -
    Wouldn't it (possibly) be deducted from income before taxes are calculated, so actually costing about 50% of the gross amount?

I edited it again.

Please be wary of Irish libel law. In cases like this, stating these as being your own opinion doesn't matter; boards.ie still hosts the opinion and is libel as a result.

Ok, I get it.

I accept you had to edit that.
    But it really annoys me that you "had" to edit that.

We've not real freedom of speech

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Everyone has a right to a good name in Ireland. Some people don't deserve it

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

thee glitz wrote: »
    I've seen this said before but surely it can't be correct -
    Wouldn't it (possibly) be deducted from income before taxes are calculated, so actually costing about 50% of the gross amount?

it can if the case is taken by a company. in this case Denis took the case as an individual so no tax write-off can be taken. Besides, i dont think he pays tax in this country.

• Advertisement

Ok, I get it.

I accept you had to edit that.
    But it really annoys me that you "had" to edit that.

Do you think you should be free to say whatever you like about other people without consequence?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I edited it again.

Just had to delete a few posts that ignored this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

That's true.

We do, under the Constitution, have the right to free expression of our convictions or opinions "subject to public order and morality". Odd phrasing, of its time, but it can be construed ion a constructive way - for example, to ban hate speech.

As a separate matter, also under the Constitution, the state is obliged to vindicate the good name of every citizen.

So freedom of speech in Ireland is subject to some constraints.

Personally, I think there is a reasonable balance between your right to say things, and my right not to be unfairly damaged by what you might say.

The cost and cumbersomeness of using the courts to protect your rights and mine is a big problem. The system favours the wealthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Will the people like Paul Murphy and the other anti everything finally stop telling us Denis o brien runs the state with the goverment from some freemasonry lodge noone knows about?

Do you think you should be free to say whatever you like about other people without consequence?

So long as it's just and true then yes.

I get what you are saying though, there are those out there that abuse the privilege of freedom of speech.

So long as it's just and true then yes.

I get what you are saying though, there are those out there that abuse the privilege of freedom of speech.

Truth is a defence in a libel case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Truth is a defence in a libel case.

No such as libel or slander in Ireland anymore as far as I remember. It's all covered as defamation under the Defamation Act 2009 now.

Defamation Act 2009

Elemonator wrote: »
    No such as libel or slander in Ireland anymore as far as I remember. It's all covered as defamation under the Defamation Act 2009 now.

Defamation Act 2009

Indeed it is. doesnt really affect what i said.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I don't like Denis O'Brien.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Indeed it is. doesnt really affect what i said.

I'm just a nitpicky so and so lol

Advertisement