Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing My Steam Account?

Options
  • 01-05-2017 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

Just a quick one. I have a ton of games in my steam library and most of them just don't get played. My good pal is now my neighbour and lives within a stones throw of my house. What I'm wondering, apart from the moral/legal aspect, is there any issue to sharing my steam login detail with him, so he can play the games I haven't or am unlikely to play? Is there any way for Valve to work out that it's not me as such?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Sheogorath

You can use family sharing, it'll will let him play any of your games but you can't both play the same game at once (you'll always be able to play a game even if he already is). Never used it myself but should do the job. As for him using your account directly, not sure how they would detect anything unusual but not sure of the legality all the same, probably hard to track...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,512 ✭✭✭✭Varik

There's no need to give the account details just set up the family sharing, and it's per library not per game.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Login in to steam on his pc and authorise his PC to play your games.

Some games cant be shared GTAV is one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Thanks Folks,

I didn't know about the family share option, I'll have to look into that. It's not going to be for every game, I think really he just wants to play some of the older titles. Either way it doesn't bother me too much, so I'm happy enough to let him at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Just keep in mind that even with family sharing, if someone gets vac banned while using your account then your account could be affected too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Sheogorath wrote: »
    You can use family sharing, it'll will let him play any of your games but you can't both play the same game at once (you'll always be able to play a game even if he already is). Never used it myself but should do the job. As for him using your account directly, not sure how they would detect anything unusual but not sure of the legality all the same, probably hard to track...

you can't pay any of the games in the persons library if they are playing .have it set up with my brother, was playing age of empires the other evening from his library, he logged on to play rocket league and i got a warning in the top corner i had 5 minutes to finish playing before getting locked out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I had no idea this existed and I've had Steam since since Half Life 2 forced me to create an account.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

mossym wrote: »
    you can't pay any of the games in the persons library if they are playing .have it set up with my brother, was playing age of empires the other evening from his library, he logged on to play rocket league and i got a warning in the top corner i had 5 minutes to finish playing before getting locked out

I can confirm this. They can play games in your library as long as you are not playing. Doesn't matter what game you are playing - once you are playing anything they can't play at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I'm building a budget PC as a surprise for the OH since we're going to be long distance for a while and it's a good way to keep in touch besides texts and Skype, have set her up a secret Steam account to get games like Saints Row IV, Civilization, GTAV etc on to that have good multiplayer where you can chat nice and easily. Still, I've got a good few games not so online focused that she might want to mess about with too on my Steam account.

So, to get this right, the family pass will allow her to access these games without me needing to find them for cheap on CD Keys etc, even if I am playing a different game on the same Steam account at the time? Obviously for the multiplayer online stuff I'll still need to get her a separate copy on her account, but for online we could both hypothetically be playing two different games on the one account at the same time?

Please tell me I've got this right, would save a nice little bit of hassle and coin! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Sheogorath

Billy86 wrote: »
    I'm building a budget PC as a surprise for the OH since we're going to be long distance for a while and it's a good way to keep in touch besides texts and Skype, have set her up a secret Steam account to get games like Saints Row IV, Civilization, GTAV etc on to that have good multiplayer where you can chat nice and easily. Still, I've got a good few games not so online focused that she might want to mess about with too on my Steam account.

So, to get this right, the family pass will allow her to access these games without me needing to find them for cheap on CD Keys etc, even if I am playing a different game on the same Steam account at the time? Obviously for the multiplayer online stuff I'll still need to get her a separate copy on her account, but for online we could both hypothetically be playing two different games on the one account at the same time?

Please tell me I've got this right, would save a nice little bit of hassle and coin! :D
    That's the way I thought it worked but apparently not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,340 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

no only one person can use the account at the same time as the other person will get a warning and be kicked off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Ah that's a shame, I only tend to play one game at a time so could have been very handy. Cheers for the heads up on it though!

Advertisement