Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Brexit or no brexit

Options
  • 01-05-2017 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭

Just reading on RTE news that a german newspaper is reporting that Junker walked out of a meeting on brexit with Theresa May.

https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2017/0501/871652-uk-may-eu-juncker/

As he left, Mr Juncker was said to have told her: "I leave Downing St ten times as sceptical as I was before."

The following morning he rang German chancellor Angela Merkel to warn her that Mrs May's approach was from a "different galaxy".

Mrs Merkel responded by re-writing a speech she was giving that day to warn that some in Britain were still harbouring "illusions" about the Brexit process.

Other quotes i found comical below:

When the British prime minister told them "let us make Brexit a success", Mr Juncker was said to have replied "Brexit cannot be a success".

And this:

Mrs May was also said to have angered the EU side when she warned that the UK could not be forced to pay a "divorce bill" for leaving because there was no requirement under the treaties, which drew the response that the EU was "not a golf club".

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn warned that Mrs May's negotiating strategy was unravelling.

Liberal Democrat Leader Tim Farron said: "It's clear this government has no clue and is taking the country towards a disastrous hard Brexit."

It fairly puts a fly in the marmalade that the likes of Boris and UKIP were spinning that the EU need Britain more than Britain need the EU.

Im wondering how likely it is that if Britain cant make a deal, will there be another referendum where the options willl be hard brexit with or No brexit at all?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

lightspeed wrote: »
    Just reading on RTE news that a german newspaper is reporting that Junker walked out of a meeting on brexit with Theresa May.

https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2017/0501/871652-uk-may-eu-juncker/

As he left, Mr Juncker was said to have told her: "I leave Downing St ten times as sceptical as I was before."

The following morning he rang German chancellor Angela Merkel to warn her that Mrs May's approach was from a "different galaxy".

Other quotes i found comical below:

When the British prime minister told them "let us make Brexit a success", Mr Juncker was said to have replied "Brexit cannot be a success".

And this:

Mrs May was also said to have angered the EU side when she warned that the UK could not be forced to pay a "divorce bill" for leaving because there was no requirement under the treaties, which drew the response that the EU was "not a golf club".

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn warned that Mrs May's negotiating strategy was unravelling.

Liberal Democrat Leader Tim Farron said: "It's clear this government has no clue and is taking the country towards a disastrous hard Brexit."

It fairly puts a fly in the marmalade that the likes of Boris and UKIP were spinning that the EU need Britain more than Britain need the EU.

Im wondering how likely it is that if Britain cant make a deal, will there be another referendum where the options willl be hard brexit with or No brexit at all?

Probably ran out of booze at Number 10 for Mr Juncker.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,107 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Ohhhh, yeah baby. My Brexit is so hard right now. You know you want it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

May is niether humble or wise enough to go back to the people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

White cliffs of Dover, stiff upper lip, spitfires and all that.
    Shure it'll be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

If I ever found myself sharing an opinion with Juncker or Merkel, I'd feel the need to take a long hard look at my life. Whichever "Galaxy" their ideas come from, it's alien. I prefer Mays one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,234 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Suprised this isnt locked yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

The election won't be the landslide the Tories are expecting. Turns out blocking your ears while shouting "Strong, Stable Leadership!" isn't actually a good tactic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭SeanW

dar100 wrote: »
    May is niether humble or wise enough to go back to the people
    She has literally just done that with a June election.

The people voted for Brexit. They want their country back. Full stop.

European people and businesses, e.g. French wine and cheese makers, German automakers, need a good relationship with Britain post Brexit. But the architects of this Euro-monstrosity are like a pimp with a stable of hos, they need to make an example of the one bitch who stepped out on him. They do not want to see a successful Britain outside the Euro-monstrosity and they are prepared to sacrifice lucrative trades and European jobs to make that happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

RayM wrote: »
    The election won't be the landslide the Tories are expecting. Turns out blocking your ears while shouting "Strong, Stable Leadership!" isn't actually a good tactic.

But it will be. Looks like a 10-20 point lead over labour.

Why was bunker releasing this anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I'm going with Wales next week. Should I be worried about anti European feeling in Holyhead?

I can't see the UK being allowed remain even if they suddenly decided they wanted to. It's not going to be pretty...and what do we get stuck with..the potential of Arlene Foster and Michelle O Neill in the Dail!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

But it will be. Looks like a 10-20 point lead over labour.

Why was bunker releasing this anyway?

It's going to be a long campaign, and that lead (insofar as opinion polling can actually be trusted nowadays) is likely to close - especially as Theresa May continues to steadfastly avoid active campaigning and the public realise that Jeremy Corbyn's not the monster the media is trying to portray him as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Like every other seminal EU negotiation, it's all still posturing at this stage and the serious deal making will get done at the 11th hour.

Be grand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Do the People of Europe have a direct democratic method of removing Mr Juncker.......

You'd think that under a democratic system the People would be able democratically to remove Juncker........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Should have been a hard brexit from the start,the EU is a monstrosity that eats up countries and s**ts out beurocracy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-There are threads already on this in Politics and politics cafe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement