Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions/Guidance on whether to proceed with complaint

Options
  • 30-04-2017 10:30pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 83 ✭✭

So this happened Saturday (29/04/2017) afternoon. I called in-store a telecom provider but the mobile I was interested in was out of stock. I went to their website to order online but had difficulty authorising the payment. Contacted customer support via online chat but they could not do a stock check for local stores and advised to transfer to sales department and order through them.

Sales rep took my card details (name, full card number, expiry date and 3 digit security code) and email, address etc. Then it got to the checkout stage and they asked me specific characters from my MasterCard SecureCode which I gave but it did not go through successfully. Then they asked for the full password which I sent but still the order could not be placed. They wanted to try again but I explicitly told them it wasn’t necessary and they should not try again. Ended chat and emailed myself the transcript.

After half an hour I tried with a different card and the order went through successfully. I opened my inbox to check for confirmation email and there I found couple of messages from the rep that they tried again after the chat and the order went through fine and to contact them back via chat.

I go back on chat and confront them for using my card details without permission. They apologise claiming they only wanted to help and gave me a contact number for loyalty department to cancel the said orders. Needless to say they were closed on Saturday and I may have to wait until Tuesday to call them back because of the bank holiday weekend and another 5 days for the refund to come back in to my account. Again emailed the chat to myself and ended it.

My question is has there been a violation of data protection with regards to them using my card details without consent when I told them not to and is this normal practice to ask for the full password (Verified by Visa/MasterCard SecureCode) from a customer? Also, if a formal complaint is warranted and I should proceed, would it jeopardize the rep’s job?

Any and all feedback welcome. Many thanks for reading.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

Are you saying you've now 2 phones paid for

They will likely cancel the first order.i can't see any data protection issue

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 83 ✭✭fcastle

Are you saying you've now 2 phones paid for

They will likely cancel the first order.i can't see any data protection issue
    I see. The sales rep ordered 2 phones as I initially wanted two. I went on to order one myself. So I have 3 phones headed my way which I may receive by courier before I get a chance to cancel them (loyalty dept closed). The thing is I am not comfortable with the fact that they placed the order using my card details after I told them not to try again at their end. Coupled with the fact that I was 300 euros short on a bank holiday weekend instead of a 100 euros and it may take a while to get it back. Thanks for replying.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

f71beaed2b2a0d18a081fe28448c68ec43cc052c8c1539addfdaeede78e59800.jpg

Why did you give them your 3D Secure pin, or parts thereof? They shouldnt have asked and you shouldnt haven't have proceeded.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Irrespective of the co@k-up with the order, but I think that the security of your card has been compromised.
    I could be wrong, but i don't think that the card details you gave should have been retained for someone to access, view and to re-use later.
    If I was you I would watch your card for any odd transactions and I would be inclined to have the card cancelled and a new one issued just in case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 83 ✭✭fcastle

@ED E
    terrible oversight on my part now that I think about it

@K.Flyer
    thanks for the tip. card cancelled and reordered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Reject one of the deliveries from the courier and you'll be refunded for that phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

ED E wrote: »

Why did you give them your 3D Secure pin, or parts thereof? They shouldnt have asked and you shouldnt haven't have proceeded.

They ask for parts of it because it comes up in a redacted style for them and they need to fill it in to proceed, i.e if your code was abcd they could be asked for letters 1 and 3.
    They certainly can't ask for the full string though I presume it was to check you hadn't made a mistake.
    Cancel your card and ask for a chargeback due to their fraudulent use perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

fcastle wrote: »
    My question is has there been a violation of data protection with regards to them using my card details without consent when I told them not to and is this normal practice to ask for the full password (Verified by Visa/MasterCard SecureCode) from a customer?

It's not a breech, since you did give them the details in the first place, and gave them express permission to use them to make the purchase. The credit card system allows retailers to make changes to amounts and to retry failed transactions. It would only be fraud if you never gave them permission in the first place.
    fcastle wrote: »
    Also, if a formal complaint is warranted and I should proceed, would it jeopardize the rep’s job?

Who knows, but you shouldn't let that stop you making a complaint if you feel it is necessary. If the rep was going off the book by asking for the password, then they should be reprimanded for it. If it is company policy for them to ask for this, then I would complain to them about that policy, as it's a huge security risk for the customer to do this. Putting your full password in an unsecured chat like this is not something you should ever do, or be asked to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

It's not a breech, since you did give them the details in the first place, and gave them express permission to use them to make the purchase. The credit card system allows retailers to make changes to amounts and to retry failed transactions. It would only be fraud if you never gave them permission in the first place.
    If the OP clearly withdrew that permission and specifically told them not to proceed with the transaction, and they did so anyway, that's a problem.
    And they definitely shouldn't have asked for the full SecureCode.

It does sound like the rep was probably just trying to help, but they did overstep quite a bit

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

MOH wrote: »
    It does sound like the rep was probably just trying to help, but they did overstep quite a bit

Replace overstep with broke the company's security policy and most likely Mastercards own security policy's.

The retailer should never ever have asked for these details,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Rep only trying to help. Relax. We all make mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

id imagine the call was recorded. Ask them to review the call and cancel the contract as you never agreed to it. Unless you are deeply out of pocket, or they cant resolve the issue for you then I wouldn't bother with a complaint. The fact the staff member was persistant in trying to fix your issue shows they had good intentions.

Advertisement