Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Least spywarey Smartphone OS.

Options
  • 30-04-2017 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,786 ✭✭✭

Thinking of getting a new (or new to me :D) phone, better camera etc, surf the internet with 3g/4g whatever. Not too concerned about apps and all that.

I was going to get a Samsung S5, but then I read this about Androids, seems modern Google androids leave the mike on and listen in on everything you talk about to anyone even if you're not using the phone. If they do that with the stuff you do that doesn't involve the phone, it hardly bears thinking about what they do with your actual phone usage.

That's messed up and it has caused me to rethink my phone choice. The main options seem to be Google Android and Apple iOS. Windows Phone seems to be a smaller platform, don't know if Blackberry is still a thing or if you can get Blackberries with good cameras, Linux phones seem to exist but are ... incomplete in most cases.

Which of the top 3 (android, ios, windows phone) are the least spywarey? If they all suck, are there any good other options?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

That thread is wrong. The mic is always on if you turn that feature on but only records after the hardware hears its trigger ("OK Google", "Hey Snapdragon"). Biggest vulnerability in Android is the user and the Play store. Quite easy to install junk and pwn yourself.

Windows Phone is dead.

iOS is arguably the most privacy centric. For a novice user you are least likely to leak data on iOS.

Advertisement