Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sale of Newstalk

Options
  • 30-04-2017 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone give a reason for suggestions of the sale of Newstalk by Communicorp? I have read a few articles that IMN are interested but why would Communicorp sell Newstalk? Particularly as it stands with a good set of Radio Broadcasters.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

I don’t think that necessarily the sequence of events! And given that the IN&M CEO sought and got protection of the Director of Corporate Enforcement along with another executive – I think that the matter is not over yet.
    https://fora.ie/inm-dispute-shareholders-3108486-Nov2016/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

IRE60 wrote: »
    I don’t think that necessarily the sequence of events! And given that the IN&M CEO sought and got protection of the Director of Corporate Enforcement along with another executive – I think that the matter is not over yet.
    https://fora.ie/inm-dispute-shareholders-3108486-Nov2016/

Doesn't explain to me why communicorp are looking to sell Newstalk. Seems as if INM are interested but communicorp aren't going out of their way to sell the radio station to another buyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

Elmo wrote: »
    Doesn't explain to me why communicorp are looking to sell Newstalk. Seems as if INM are interested but communicorp aren't going out of their way to sell the radio station to another buyer.

My reading of the situation is that IN&M are not really that interested in buying the station and low balled the bid. Communicorp had a valuation on it and were looking IN&M to come up to that – which their CEO didn’t go for, falling out with his Chairman in the process (who look’s as if he wanted the CEO to pay the higher amount).
    Communicorp lost 3.5m odd on their radio business last year – perhaps Newstalk is the ‘whale’ and the one haemorrhaging (the most) money. Maybe that's why they want to rid themselves of the station and decided to ‘offer’ it to a close friend!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

IRE60 wrote: »
    My reading of the situation is that IN&M are not really that interested in buying the station and low balled the bid. Communicorp had a valuation on it and were looking IN&M to come up to that – which their CEO didn’t go for, falling out with his Chairman in the process (who look’s as if he wanted the CEO to pay the higher amount).
    Communicorp lost 3.5m odd on their radio business last year – perhaps Newstalk is the ‘whale’ and the one haemorrhaging (the most) money. Maybe that's why they want to rid themselves of the station and decided to ‘offer’ it to a close friend!

CEO seems intelligent why pay over the odds for a company that another is trying to wash their hands of,regardless of your "friendship".

Advertisement