Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how can I get emergency tax back?

Options
  • 30-04-2017 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

I come to Ireland to work a few weeks ago. I am paying emergency tax for first month salary(April). My employer says they don't receive my pps number and they will adjust in payroll system once they get it.

Currently I pay 40% PAYE tax, 4% prsi and 8% usc.
    So how can I get the overpaid money back? I know there will be a form 12 for tax return at the end of each year. but i have no idea about what it really does.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Anongeneric

Your employer will return it to you in the next payment after receipt of your pps number/p45

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Did you fill in a form P12A applying for tax credits? You must do this to enter the system and get a pps number.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭suitianshi

jca wrote: »
    Did you fill in a form P12A applying for tax credits? You must do this to enter the system and get a pps number.
    I already have a ppsn and submit it to my hr team. But as you know, everything propagates slowly in a big company.
    What I knows is I can submit a eForm 12 at end of 2017. Besides this nothing else. (I don't even know if the form12 can get my money back)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

I find the best way is to ring the tax office directly. You'll need your employer number and your PPS number and the date you started work.

Your employer will return it to you in the next payment after receipt of your pps number/p45
    I ask them "how can i get my overpaid tax back" twice but they only say they will adjust the values in my payroll profile. Will they refund it? what's the "get back" procedure under law?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

suitianshi wrote: »
    I ask them "how can i get my overpaid tax back" twice but they only say they will adjust the values in my payroll profile. Will they refund it? what's the "get back" procedure under law?

When your employer receives your tax credit certificate from revenue you'll get your overpaid tax in your wages.

jca wrote: »
    When your employer receives your tax credit certificate from revenue you'll get your overpaid tax in your wages.
    yes, seems my employer should refund my overcharged tax in my next month payslip. Quoted from "living in ireland"

Your employer is obliged to deduct tax at an emergency rate if he/she has not received your Certificate of Tax Credits or a P45 from a previous employer. Once the employer receives either of these documents he/she can calculate how much tax they should be deducting from your wages. The employer can at this stage refund the amount of tax that you were overcharged

Another question is, my wife comes here with me together, and she will not seek for a job. But I can only see my personal credit and PAYE credit on myAccount and no button to add spouse information or spouse's personal credit. The result is, I pay tax more than I should . Any idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

suitianshi wrote:
    Another question is, my wife comes here with me together, and she will not seek for a job. But I can only see my personal credit and PAYE credit on myAccount and no button to add spouse information or spouse's personal credit. The result is, I pay tax more than I should . Any idea?

She should also apply due a ppsn even if not working. Then ring the tax office to let them know you are married and to be added together. You will then get the extra credit.

She should also apply due a ppsn even if not working. Then ring the tax office to let them know you are married and to be added together. You will then get the extra credit.
    ok, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Ciaran

I doubt they'll do that over the phone. Send them in an assessable spouse election form. (google it)

• Advertisement
Advertisement