Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Are there any Polish people living here?'

Options
  • 30-04-2017 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

Am I the only one who has groups of Polish people calling to the door every few weeks asking if there are other Polish people living in the house/nearby? The first time I thought the people were just looking for their friend's house but when it happened again I wondered if it was like a political canvassing type thing. Today it was a family with 2 small kids. They go around in larger groups and then split up to take different streets each. Wtf :confused: Has my house fallen into the twilight zone??

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Do they burn polish coal?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Allinall

Pole needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

That is a bit weird. Did they come across as new arrivals or was the question phrased in a similar way, suggesting that a larger group at looking for a specific person/people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

That's the CURWA. It's a support group for Polish people living in Ireland. They assist with problems, housing, finding work, accessing social services etc etc. I hear Polish people discussing them all the time. It's "curwa" this and "curwa" that - they're very active in the Polish community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

They go around in larger groups and then split up to take different streets each. Wtf :confused: Has my house fallen into the twilight zone??

Jehovah's Witnesses most likely, they like to send targeted missionaries!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Beyondgone wrote: »
    That's the CURWA. It's a support group for Polish people living in Ireland. They assist with problems, housing, finding work, accessing social services etc etc. I hear Polish people discussing them all the time. It's "curwa" this and "curwa" that - they're very active in the Polish community.

Next time they call so I'll greet them by throwing the door open and shouting CURWA :pac:
    Samaris wrote: »
    That is a bit weird. Did they come across as new arrivals or was the question phrased in a similar way, suggesting that a larger group at looking for a specific person/people?

It was phrased in a similar way but I don't think they are looking for a specific person, just Polish people in general. It's really weird!
    mhge wrote: »
    Jehovah's Witnesses most likely, they like to send targeted missionaries!

I'd be very surprised if they were. They're not your typical Jehovahs at all, and they don't carry any of the usual Jehovah's magazines and pamphlets etc. They don't give off a holy vibe either.

The general area where I live would have a good population of Eastern Europeans but my street and the surrounding streets don't have many (none along my road at all).

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭elstingeo

Did you ask why they were calling or what the issue was in relation to? Does it seem suspicious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Am I the only one who has groups of Polish people calling to the door every few weeks asking if there are other Polish people living in the house/nearby? The first time I thought the people were just looking for their friend's house but when it happened again I wondered if it was like a political canvassing type thing. Today it was a family with 2 small kids. They go around in larger groups and then split up to take different streets each. Wtf :confused: Has my house fallen into the twilight zone??

Where is this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

It's in Limerick. They don't seem shifty or suspicious at all, and they're always very pleasant. They simply knock, ask if there are Polish people living here or nearby and then go on to the next house. No ID badges or anything. And if you look into the next street, there will be a different group doing the same thing. It's usually midweek when they call so I was surprised to see them today.

So, it's not a common thing then?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Did they have weapons? Maybe they were Czechs looking for a fight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

It's in Limerick. They don't seem shifty or suspicious at all, and they're always very pleasant. They simply knock, ask if there are Polish people living here or nearby and then go on to the next house. No ID badges or anything. And if you look into the next street, there will be a different group doing the same thing. It's usually midweek when they call so I was surprised to see them today.

So, it's not a common thing then?

I had JWs ask me about the nationality of neighbours on our road, hence my earlier suggestion. Perhaps it's a targeted sales campaign, like national TV boxes, money transfers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I did have two women come up to me outside my place asking if I was Russian, with nothing to suggest I was. Hmmmm.

There are a lot of missionaries active, certainly in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭elstingeo

It's rather worrying and abnormal behaviour to knock on someone's door, enquire about the nationality of said resident without even stating the rational behind the question, visit or why they are in the area. It's rather suspicious. I'd kindly ask them what they're at and if they'd like to explain to the police why they're asking such questions with large groups canvassing an area. Granted if it is a charitable act, census or whatever then fair enough.

Although this weekend is a May Day in Poland and is regarded as a public holiday.

Next Wednesday is Constitution Day which celebrates the Polish constitution (2nd oldest in the world). Maybe it has something to do with that who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Nope, but it has fallen into Warsaw.

Advertisement