Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failing a level 6 plc course - susi?

Options
  • 29-04-2017 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hello, my question is, if i will fail the end of the year exams level 6PLC course that i'm currently doing, and therefore fail the course, will i have to pay back my grants to susi? And will i be entitled to grants if i will get into a level 8 course none-the less? (i had mostly distinctions on my level 5)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 iAteYourSpud

So even if i have a level 5 PLC award from last year (kerry college of further education), just by failing this years level 6 PLC (saint johns central college) that means i wont be eligible for a grant? Even if i will get a place in the IT college for my level 8 course?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

So even if i have a level 5 PLC award from last year (kerry college of further education), just by failing this years level 6 PLC (saint johns central college) that means i wont be eligible for a grant? Even if i will get a place in the IT college for my level 8 course?

I see you made a double post.
    You will not have to pay back the grant assistance you received already but if you were to try and attend a course at the same level as the one you failed, then you would have to wait until you meet the qualification to become a second chance student to qualify for grant assistance at the same level.

Sup08 wrote: »
    I see you made a double post.
    You will not have to pay back the grant assistance you received already but if you were to try and attend a course at the same level as the one you failed, then you would have to wait until you meet the qualification to become a second chance student to qualify for grant assistance at the same level.

Sorry about that. (Psst, admins, can you merge the posts?)

So even if i will fail level 6 course, i still will get the full grants as long as i'll get in level 8 course in IT Tralee? (Which is guaranteed to me based on my level 5 results, which i got in 2016)

But then i basically "wasted" this year, since i had the level 8 offer last year, how will susi react to that?

I will let the admins close this thread and you can ask away in the other.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

You said
    On the Susi website they cite a "second chance" policy for students who have dropped out
    I think this is directed at the grant

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Mayoman007

I passed in 6 modules (2 pass, 4 merit) and missed 2 due to illness in Multimedia level 6 course.
    Would I get full award or........?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭jackinthemix94

Mayoman007 wrote: »
    I passed in 6 modules (2 pass, 4 merit) and missed 2 due to illness in Multimedia level 6 course.
    Would I get full award or........?

I'm pretty sure they equate a Level 6 to Year 1 of a Level 8, so I'm 99% sure you won't get a grant for the first year - unless you can prove extenuating circumstances (and SUSI look for extensive evidence). You'd get it in Years 2 and 3 and 4.

I'm pretty sure they equate a Level 6 to Year 1 of a Level 8, so I'm 99% sure you won't get a grant for the first year - unless you can prove extenuating circumstances (and SUSI look for extensive evidence). You'd get it in Years 2 and 3 and 4.

I got two replies from susi.

First one:

In order to receive funding from SUSI, you must be progressing in your education. As you will be progressing from level 6 PLC to level 8 Undergraduate, you may be considered eligible for funding.

Undergraduate students are eligible to receive both maintenance and fee funding, once all criteria in relation to residency, nationality, progression, income etc. are met.

Second one:

If you are unsuccessful in your Summer exams for your PLC level 6 course, but will be progressing to a level 8 Undergraduate for the 17/18 academic year, you may be eligible to receive funding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭jackinthemix94

I got two replies from susi.

First one:

In order to receive funding from SUSI, you must be progressing in your education. As you will be progressing from level 6 PLC to level 8 Undergraduate, you may be considered eligible for funding.

Undergraduate students are eligible to receive both maintenance and fee funding, once all criteria in relation to residency, nationality, progression, income etc. are met.

Second one:

If you are unsuccessful in your Summer exams for your PLC level 6 course, but will be progressing to a level 8 Undergraduate for the 17/18 academic year, you may be eligible to receive funding.

"May be".

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Mayoman007

It was PLC (Level 6). My question is would I get Level 6 certificate or no?

"May be".

The "May be" means that the applicant must meet all the criteria to be eligible.

In this particular scenario and the OP met all other criteria (financial, residency, etc) and the only question was strictly based on whether the applicant was progression, then the OP would qualify for grant assistance, as they would be progressing from PLC Level to Undergraduate Level if they were entering year 1 of a level 8 course.

Mayoman007 wrote: »
    It was PLC (Level 6). My question is would I get Level 6 certificate or no?

Only your college can answer this question as they have your results.

Advertisement