Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dirt Rally/4

Options
  • 29-04-2017 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,575 ✭✭✭✭

Picked up Dirt Rally in the recent psn sale as I was craving a racing game and never got a GT Sport beta code. Way better than I expected, best rally game I've played since Colin McRae 1. Has me looking forward to Dirt 4 now and it was never even on my radar.

I know this has a thread in the Racing Sim forum but any filthy racing casuals like myself have this and on for a Boards league on PS4? Proco Jr is setting up a new one.

As for Rally, can anyone recommend a new car? I just finished Open champ with the mini but don't have a clue what to try for the Clubman champ.

Anyone planning to get Dirt 4 and know what's gonna be different in that?

415988.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I'd love to say yes to this but 2 problems.

1. Time unfortunately just not being available
    2. I could not get into Dirt 3 at all. So twitchy. I was in the ditch more than the road and yes I'm a filthy casual too but thought it'd be ok for a bit of pick up and play. No. Just no.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I have it too, as I loved the other DIRT games but I found it to be EXTREMELY hard simulation and not much fun for the pick up and play. Really tried to play it for ages but just found it way to hard to get in to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    any filthy racing casuals like myself have this and on for a Boards league on PS4? Proco Jr is setting up a new one.

I made two leagues for Dirt Rally (PS4)

A daily stage https://www.dirtgame.com/us/leagues/league/82900/daily-stage-ps4

& a weekly, 4 stage rally https://www.dirtgame.com/us/leagues/league/82902/weekly-rally-ps4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I have it too, as I loved the other DIRT games but I found it to be EXTREMELY hard simulation and not much fun for the pick up and play. Really tried to play it for ages but just found it way to hard to get in to.

I need to have a fresh mind to play Dirt Rally, any lapse in concentration and I'm in the ditch. :pac:

Its so much fun when everything goes right though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,575 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

It's turned out to be the perfect pick up and play for me with 5 minute races in career or a quick race from a league. I was spose to be playing a lot of mass effect this weekend but haven't touched it over this. Just wish I'd got it at launch when it was more active.

Also, I never watch replays from racers but they are done class in this, far forward to the good bits for some excellent screenshots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I bought Dirt Rally...but only because I bought VR.
    Man it's so hard hard in VR with that in-camera view.....I don't think I can handle a whole career playing it.
    It's great in VR (pity there's no other cars to race against though)

Dirt 4 is supposed to have 2 modes, Aim & Gaming. Previews said the Sim is like Dirt Rally, every corner is trying to kill you and Gaming is much more forgiving. Devs said there is also a proper tutorial this time where you play through it and not just watch videos that I stopped after the first section.

I usually play racing games in cockpit view but for this, I play behind the car. Will go back to it once I get better but I'd love to try the VR on it. I would hope 4 supports VR as well....in case I happen to get a present of VR headset anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I enjoyed the first 2 Dirt games, but i found 3 extremely hard in comparison. Again, filthy casual for racing games, and prefer racing games like Burnout, Destruction Derby, FlatOut, etc, but i found the first 2 Dirts to be "easier" to pick up and play. I'll see how this goes, maybe pick it up at some stage. Only recently found out i can safely overclock my CPU to 5.0Ghz, and my RAM can be upped too, so just need to pick up a cheap 980ti and i'll be sorted for gaming for a while! I'll probably pick it up then.

Posted this in Racing forum but in case people aren't into the sim side of things, Dirt 4 will have 2 Handling modes Gamer & Sim, in case Dirt Rally put anyone off, trying to please everyone I guess. I never drive with assists off usually but just started doing it in Dirt Rally and it's actually class.

NvNWAge.png

Dirt 4 info:

Looks like it will be 55-60 in Argos, £45 on TheGameCollection. Launch day/preorders look to come with a Hyundai car, team boost and access to a Hyundai event launch weekend.

Release date - Friday 9th June

2 handling modes - Gamer & Sim. Gamer like the old Dirt games, Sim like Dirt Rally. Devs said both have been improved upon.

Career Mode. Start as a hired driver until you make enough money to start your own team. Create a team name, colours, apply liveries & hire engineers. Gain sponsors and apply to your car to get extra money. The career mode will have pre-generated courses getting longer and more difficult the further you get into it.

Cross platform leaderboards. This is great as well especially on here. I'm just not sure if someone can create a league on PS4 and then have people on xbox and pc sign up for it. Hope it's that, would make for some very busy leagues on here.

Trophy List:
    http://www.playstationtrophies.org/game/dirt-4/trophies/

'The Nightman Cometh' - Devs are Always Sunny in Philadelphia fans :D

It's really strange why Fearless is locked, hopefully it's unlocked from the start at launch

6UomxdD.png

'Your Stage', a new feature to generate a near infinite amount of tracks. Create tracks, set times and share with your friends. Should be a great feature for a league as it puts everyone on level ground, no memorising courses.

Gameplay footage from Dirtfish, the open world level for practice and challenge runs.

Be Fearless trailer

Gameplay footage from 3 different races

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I'm not convinced at the 'sim' authenticity yet. Watched some live streams and it seems a bit 'arcadey' still compared to Dirt Rally. I'll wait for reviews and feedback before diving into this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Really not sure about Dirt 4, Dirt Rally is brilliant so if the 'sim' lives up to Dirt Rally I might get it. Although I'm not optimistic, Dirt 3 is a game I'd rather forget exists...

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

Reviews seem very positive for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Reserved a copy in Argos. €53.99 and i have a €5 voucher to use against it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Thread title should maybe be changed to Dirt 4 instead of "Dirt Rally4" Dirt rally is a rally simulation where as the Dirt 1,2,3 and now 4 are arcade style rally games.
    Unless ofcourse people want to mould both games into one thread? That would be like COD and Battlefield in the one thread :)
    Both share the Dirt name in part and come from the same studio but thats where the similarities end :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Based on the reviews I've read so far I'll be removing Dirt 4 from my wishlist. Dirt Rally is a brilliant rally sim but Dirt 4 just seems like it's back to the same old Dirt series nonsense.

Dcully wrote: »
    Thread title should maybe be changed to Dirt 4 instead of "Dirt Rally4" Dirt rally is a rally simulation where as the Dirt 1,2,3 and now 4 are arcade style rally games.
    Unless ofcourse people want to mould both games into one thread? That would be like COD and Battlefield in the one thread :)
    Both share the Dirt name in part and come from the same studio but thats where the similarities end :)

Well the thread was made for both games as I had just started Rally and was looking forward to 4 so wanted to progress thoughts on both but yeah, can be renamed to Dirt 4 and focus on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Went ahead and bought this. Was going to get it for the PS4 but went with the PC version in the end as i got it for €25 cheaper. Really liking it so far and runs and looks great.

Advertisement