Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Cycling Event

Options
  • 28-04-2017 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

I'm thinking about entering a race for the first time this summer so just looking for some advice. I'll be in Berlin for a few weeks in June so the Velothon (the 60km version for novices) looks like it could be a bit of fun and a good way to see the city.

Now I'll need to rent a bike for it but I imagine that I'll be able to get hold of one easily enough. But I notice on the rules that they expect entrants to be able to maintain a mininum speed of 23km/hr, which I'm a bit wary of. I'm fairly active in general and have done a couple of 10k running races in the past (usually finishing ~55 minutes), but I usually only cycle on the road at weekends or the odd commute, so don't really keep track of my speed. On a stationary bike in the gym 25ish km/hr seems manageable enough, but I'm not sure how good of an indicator that would be for the 2 hours or so that it'll take me to finish this race.

In short, is that pace manageable for 60km and I'm just overthinking things?

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,559 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Looking at the website, although they call it a "race", it really is not one. It's a glorified sportive

23km/h over not much more than 2 hours is definitely achievable if you have had some preparation. How long do you typically cycle for currently?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Joaquin223

Yes a sportive would be a more accurate description, for the 60km version anyway.

Currently I'd usually head out with a few friends for an hour to an hour and a half, but our pace would be very leisurely. Last weekend the route was from the Pope's cross to Dun Laoghaire harbour, so ~17km which took about an hour (but not exactly pushing ourselves).

In the gym I can maintain 20-25 km/hr for about 40-45 minutes handily enough, but I should probably start trying to push that closer to the 2 hour mark to prepare for the event & more serious longer routes at the weekend. I've 7 weeks until the Velothon, so reckon it's doable?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

have you tried heading out on your own for an hour? obviously you don't want to disrupt the pace of what sounds like a social cycle, but someone who can run a 10k in under an hour sounds fit enough to me to be easily able to sustain 23km/h on the bike for extended periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Joaquin223 wrote: »
    I'm thinking about entering a race for the first time ....

.....Now I'll need to rent a bike for it...
    Now those two bits certainly made me sit up and pay attention!

But alas, on further reading my image of you on a Dublin Bike leading out on a bunch sprint to the line was dashed! :(

Why not try some of the local short sportives before you go to Berlin. Many of the smaller 'local' ones have a 40/50/60k route option.

have you tried heading out on your own for an hour? obviously you don't want to disrupt the pace of what sounds like a social cycle, but someone who can run a 10k in under an hour sounds fit enough to me to be easily able to sustain 23km/h on the bike for extended periods.

In hindsight, yes that's the best option, thanks. I'll head out this weekend for a longer cycle alone and check the distance on google maps after, should give me a good indication.

• Advertisement

Now those two bits certainly made me sit up and pay attention!

But alas, on further reading my image of you on a Dublin Bike leading out on a bunch sprint to the line was dashed! :(

Why not try some of the local short sportives before you go to Berlin. Many of the smaller 'local' ones have a 40/50/60k route option.

Haha no, I'll have something a bit more suitable organised!

That's not a bad idea alright but I'm not sure if I'll have the time to make it to something like that between now and June, I find it hard to even fit in the usual weekly social cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

In hindsight, yes that's the best option, thanks. I'll head out this weekend for a longer cycle alone and check the distance on google maps after, should give me a good indication.

Download Strava and put your phone in your pocket. Set it to record your ride and it will give you a bit more than Google Maps (elevation, distance, average speed, max speed etc)

Download Strava and put your phone in your pocket. Set it to record your ride and it will give you a bit more than Google Maps (elevation, distance, average speed, max speed etc)

Thanks, will do.

Just a few other beginner questions too, if you lads don't mind (bearing in mind I'm completely new to these events): Obviously if I do the race I'll start it quite close to the back, then when it gets going the general advice online seems to be to hang around the back of a pack of riders that are going at comfortable pace (similar enough to running, I guess) - that seems straightforward enough.

Is bringing a spare tube or repair kit with me on the day a necessity? I wasn't really planning on bringing any extra equipment (bar a helmet of course), might sound very naive but for a 60k race I thought I'd just chance it - bad idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

ALWAYS bring a spare tube, CO2 and inflators and a mini pump.

07Lapierre wrote: »

Thanks, good to know. I'll have to practice speeding up changing a tyre a few times before it, I'm usually at home when I do it with a youtube tutorial open beside me (I know), so during an event I imagine it'll take me a good few minutes.

I realise these are all very basic questions so I appreciate the help - but during races would it be usual for race attendants to help riders out with tyre changes or anything like that?

• Advertisement

...- but during races would it be usual for race attendants to help riders out with tyre changes or anything like that?
    It ain't a race! :)

Generally marshals or other riders will be happy to help out in these type of events.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

07Lapierre wrote: »
    and tyre levers!

It ain't a race! :)

Generally marshals or other riders will be happy to help out in these type of events.

Ha, sorry, I'm using race/event/sportive/cycle interchangeably.

Grand, thanks and cheers to everyone on this thread, I think that's everything I wanted to find out...for now anyway!

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    and tyre levers!
    07Lapierre is gifted with the ability of removing tyres with his bare hands! (so he probably didn't think of them)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I can't believe that nobody has yet advised that the OP should get either a power meter or a coach? What's happening here?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

07Lapierre is gifted with the ability of removing tyres with his bare hands! (so he probably didn't think of them)

Taking them off is the easy bit! Putting them back on without using levers is the tricky bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭py

Cycle 4 DSI is coming up in just under 2 weeks and it has a shorter route which would be suitable for your first event.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭tonytiger81

Inspiration Cycling Club in Dunboyne also have a sportive coming up on Saturday 20th May. 55k and 100k routes. link here: https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/cycle4inspiration-100km-55km-tickets-31611300250

Thanks for the suggestions of other events! Got a good hour in going around the Phoenix Park in the evenings a few times over the last week or so, I'm a bit slower than I thought though: usually about a 21 km/hr avg. speed and a max of 33/34 km/hr.

I suppose with a bit of preparation and a good night's rest the night before it could be doable, but I've decided against the event in Berlin. Probably a bit overly ambitious for my first time out! The extra hassle of getting equipment sorted, not to mention how expensive it is (really need the early bird entry) put me off it.

I'll definitely look into trying one of those sportives during the summer though, it's something I've always wanted to get started properly in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Thanks for the suggestions of other events! Got a good hour in going around the Phoenix Park in the evenings a few times over the last week or so, I'm a bit slower than I thought though: usually about a 21 km/hr avg. speed and a max of 33/34 km/hr.

If you were stopping at lights ect that will bring the avg down.
    Sportifs (here at least) usually have marshals at junctions and wave you through roundabout ect, youb be amazed how much that brings the speed up.
    Plus on the day you'll be buzzing and in a group. 21khm by yourself should be ok for the requested 23kmh

• Advertisement
Advertisement