Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large collection of 78 rpm records.

Options
  • 28-04-2017 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

Clearing the mother-in-law's house and found the father-in law's collection of 78s going back to the 30s and 40s. About 200 records in all. It seems like there is no demand for these now. It's a shame to just get rid of them.

Does anyone know of a place that might buy the lot?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Adverts.ie?

There's little demand for 78's these days unless there's something very rare amongst them.

The guy who runs these fairs might be able to point you in the right direction.

http://www.soundzpromising.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

Thanks Del.Monte, I'll give that a go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

Falcon L wrote: »
    Clearing the mother-in-law's house and found the father-in law's collection of 78s going back to the 30s and 40s. About 200 records in all. It seems like there is no demand for these now. It's a shame to just get rid of them.

You could try adverts.ie and advertise them as a job lot or you could do what i would do..buy a record player and listen to them like they were intended. I know its not practical for everybody but they dont make these things anymore and they're still great to listen to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

What kind of music? Jazz? Traditional music? Dance music? The answer may make a difference to what you should do with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

Chuchote wrote: »
    What kind of music? Jazz? Traditional music? Dance music? The answer may make a difference to what you should do with them.
    Mostly Jazz, I reckon. Benny Goodman and Jimmy Dorsey are just two names I remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The novelty and nostalgia quickly wears off when you have to manually change the record after only 4 or 5 minutes of music, whatever the genre. And the background sound of frying rashers will eventually convince you that it wasn't such a good idea after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Mostly Jazz, I reckon. Benny Goodman and Jimmy Dorsey are just two names I remember.

There are a few places in the US that sell these; presumably they also buy them.

Some of those sites are listed in this thread on this folkie forum:

http://mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=162019&messages=18

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

coylemj wrote: »
    The novelty and nostalgia quickly wears off when you have to manually change the record after only 4 or 5 minutes of music, whatever the genre. And the background sound of frying rashers will eventually convince you that it wasn't such a good idea after all.

Killjoy! You forgot to mention when, for no apparent reason, the needle would skip from one track to another or across the whole record. Even when I had a turntable nominally capable of taking 78's I never used it as I was afraid their weight would put the whole thing out of kilter. I still have a few in my collection, but destined never to be played again. :D

Advertisement