Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pain medication patch

Options
  • 28-04-2017 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭

Are pain medication patches for people with stomach issues sold in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Never heard of anything like that. Do you have any more details like the type of medication in them?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I was on a patch for neuropathic pain some years back - prescription of course from my pain clinic doctor..
    Have you any more details describing what you are talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Seanachai

I was on a patch for neuropathic pain some years back - prescription of course from my pain clinic doctor..
    Have you any more details describing what you are talking about?

I thought there might be patches that dispense ibuprofen or codeine transdermally. Like a nicorette patch, except with pain medication.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,071 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They exist but I'm fairly sure all are prescription. Butrans would be the brand I've seen sold here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Yes, patches i had were prescribed, short term thing, hard on the system..

• Advertisement

Seanachai wrote: »
    I thought there might be patches that dispense ibuprofen or codeine transdermally. Like a nicorette patch, except with pain medication.

There are no transdermal patches for over the counter pain medication. Those that are available on prescription contain strong opioids and are only used for severe pain.
    It is possible to get paracetamol or ibuprofen in suppository form if there is a problem taking them by mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Seanachai

echo beach wrote: »
    There are no transdermal patches for over the counter pain medication. Those that are available on prescription contain strong opioids and are only used for severe pain.
    It is possible to get paracetamol or ibuprofen in suppository form if there is a problem taking them by mouth.

I hadn't considered that option, I've never been down that road before lol :P. Needs must I suppose.

Seanachai wrote: »
    I hadn't considered that option, I've never been down that road before lol :P. Needs must I suppose.
    It is the norm on the continent but despite obvious advantages for some reason they have never caught on here, in Britain or the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 taken1

a friend of mine refused pain patches because if one sweats it can alter how much is delivered and too much can affect breathing.

Advertisement