Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cá bhfuil/raibh? (Áth Cliath)

Options
  • 28-04-2017 3:50pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Sr. Uach. na Driseoige, Áth Cliath.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Upper Drishoge Street, I think. I'll keep looking.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Is there a Briar Street or a Bramble Street?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

No, that's what has me foxed. Certainly not in an Upper and Lower version.

The only streets I can think of with Upper and Lower versions are Liffey Street, Gardiner Street, Abbey Street, Leeson Street, Dorset Street, Baggot Street, Sheriff Street, Stephen Street, Fitzwilliam Street, Mount Street, Pembroke Street, O'Connell Street, Sandwith Street - there are others, but none match a translation of 'na Driseoige'. I think it must be a street that has not been directly translated.

It was the address of a publisher of articles in the Irish language in the 50s or so (I think).

Going by logainm.ie, "uacht." could be "southern" instead of upper. That may or may not help. :o

spurious wrote: »
    It was the address of a publisher of articles in the Irish language in the 50s or so (I think).

I've her found! Máire Ní Raghallaigh.

She worked on Upper Dorset Street.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Now how did they get 'na Driseoige' out of that?
    Thanks for that, much appreciated.

spurious wrote: »
    Now how did they get 'na Driseoige' out of that?
    Thanks for that, much appreciated.

It could have been that they just wanted to give the street an Irish name and figured that Driseog looked close enough to Dorset for them to get away with it. Political, rather than geographical, perhaps.

Glad to be able to help anyway.

Advertisement