Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Too late to drop?

• 27-04-2017 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Is it too late to drop to ordinary level maths? I'm really struggling with higher level and I didn't realise how badly I was going to do in my mocks since we had the forms filled out just before them !!! I only passed by 5% and I'm very stressed. Is I too late to drop to ordinary level or am I stuck?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Stick with OL. Even if you fail it you will still have attempted OL.

Passing OL and sticking with OL gives you a much wider choice of course to do at college.

Nobody after 2017 will ask you what you got in your JC.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Ialison

spurious wrote: »
    Stick with OL. Even if you fail it you will still have attempted OL.

Passing OL and sticking with OL gives you a much wider choice of course to do at college.

Nobody after 2017 will ask you what you got in your JC.

I would rather an A in ordinary level rather than a fail in higher level.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Ialison wrote: »
    I would rather an A in ordinary level rather than a fail in higher level.

Would you rather be stuck in a Foundation Level class at LC?
    Your teachers will know if, even with a fail, you are capable of OL, because you will have attempted a paper. Nobody knows what you can do if you take a FL paper.
    Why not go to the primary school and take a 6th class paper if you just want an A?
    BTW, getting a D in your Mock at OL is absolutely no guarantee of an A in FL. If you can get an A in FL, you should be doing OL.

Anyway, it sounds like you have made your mind up. Hope we don't see you in the LC forum in two years wondering what you can do with Foundation Maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭GeneralSherman

The OP never mentioned anything about doing FL. The original question was whether it was too late to move from HL to OL.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

Lalison, I'd really advise you stick with higher level. Having OL maths for the JC will really limit you if you get to fifth year and want to try HL maths. And honestly, people's mock results in maths tend to be extremely poor in general, so you're not the only one who just scraped a pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Ialison

spurious wrote: »
    Would you rather be stuck in a Foundation Level class at LC?
    Your teachers will know if, even with a fail, you are capable of OL, because you will have attempted a paper. Nobody knows what you can do if you take a FL paper.
    Why not go to the primary school and take a 6th class paper if you just want an A?
    BTW, getting a D in your Mock at OL is absolutely no guarantee of an A in FL. If you can get an A in FL, you should be doing OL.

Anyway, it sounds like you have made your mind up. Hope we don't see you in the LC forum in two years wondering what you can do with Foundation Maths.

Well that was very harsh and uncalled for. I hope you're not like this on all forums. If you read my ORIGINAL QUESTION properly you would see that I asked if it was too late to drop from higher level to ordinary level. Not ONCE did I meantion that I was doing ordinary level and wanted to do foundation level. IN FACT foundation level was not even mentioned in what I asked. Before you go off on some rant discouraging people and being rude on forums that are here to answer people's questions and help those who are asking for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Lalison, I'd really advise you stick with higher level. Having OL maths for the JC will really limit you if you get to fifth year and want to try HL maths. And honestly, people's mock results in maths tend to be extremely poor in general, so you're not the only one who just scraped a pass.

Stick with it. If you fail you can drop to OL for the leaving, if not you can stay with HL.

It's only the Junior cert, doesn't mean much in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭jeonahr

I would stick with HL. From my experience of HL maths in JC (which was last year for me), everyone jumped up by a lot from their mocks. I got a C and jumped to an A. Loads of girls who failed got Cs. Seeing as you passed, as long as you keep up the work, you could very easily get a C, maybe even a B.
    Also, if you drop to OL now you'll be limiting yourself in the future if you want to try it out. It's only the JC, it doesn't matter no matter what people or teachers tell you. Once you get your results all the teachers will forget about it to be fair and will say that "it's just the JC".

The OP never mentioned anything about doing FL. The original question was whether it was too late to move from HL to OL.

Yes, I got mixed up with conversations I am having with another two posters through PM. Sorry.

This time of year people all start wanting to move level. Most regret it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Stick with HL dude. I got 49% in my mock and I got a C in the actual JC. I stuck with HL and I don't regret doing so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Rorby

if you passed your mock then id stick with HL, i got 20% in my mock but then got a c at HL so you should be grand if you know the basics and attempt every question on the paper

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭LaLa2004

You passed it in the mock. Do a bit of work, ask for help on specific issues, revise & keep your head together on the day.
    Sometimes 5th year classes can be put together by the school based on your results/level taken. You may be in a ordinary level class for 5th year with others who took higher level for Junior cert. (rather than others who took ordinary level).

Advertisement