Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you store in your roof box?

Options
  • 27-04-2017 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,551 ✭✭✭✭

An odd question perhaps, but we just got a roof box for our T5 camper and haven't had a chance to use it before this weekend, so I haven't really fully thought through exactly what would be best to keep up there.

Trial and error will reveal the most useful thing to store in it, but I thought I'd get ahead of the curve and ask you good folks.

Currently, I'm thinking that keeping most of the bedding (duvets, pillows, mattress covers, etc.) in it, in waterproof covers, would be the best idea, which would free up space inside the camper for clothing storage (which up until now we've had to store on the front seats), but maybe people who use them regularly find differently?

Anyway, I'm curious what storage arrangement you use if you have a similar type of camper!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

We have a high roof and its a pain to get stuff in and out so its only for 'essentials' that are rarely used like barbecue, spare charcoal, portable cooker and gas, emergeny supplies like cable ties, insulation tape, duct tape. etc. during the summer it usually has body boards and inflatable stuff for the kids.

If I had a low roof van it would have awning, camping chairs that kind of stuff in it. Bedding on the roof doesn't sound attractive to me with our weather waterproof bags or not. Inevitably at some stage you're going to be out there in the dark in the pissing rain retrieving the bags and you, the bags and everything inside the roofbox will be doused. Then a dripping you will be unpacking dripping bags in the van :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

MJohnston wrote: »
    An odd question perhaps, but we just got a roof box for our T5 camper and haven't had a chance to use it before this weekend, so I haven't really fully thought through exactly what would be best to keep up there.

Trial and error will reveal the most useful thing to store in it, but I thought I'd get ahead of the curve and ask you good folks.

Currently, I'm thinking that keeping most of the bedding (duvets, pillows, mattress covers, etc.) in it, in waterproof covers, would be the best idea, which would free up space inside the camper for clothing storage (which up until now we've had to store on the front seats), but maybe people who use them regularly find differently?

Anyway, I'm curious what storage arrangement you use if you have a similar type of camper!
    Bulky items such as awning sides and poles, deck chairs, table, ground sheets and mats.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,551 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The interesting thing is that with our T5's rock and roll bed, we can store our awning bag under the supports of the bed/seat where very few other things fit, and indeed our deck chairs neatly fit into a small gap between the bottom of the seats and boxes we have under those seats. Essentially the awning and deck chairs are occupying space that other items wouldn't be able to anyway.

We'll figure it out eventually I suppose :)

Advertisement