Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you normally have to pay for proof of driving experience letter?

Options
  • 27-04-2017 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

just been on to a car insurance company about getting this letter and they say theres a €20 charge for it. had to ring 2 other companies also and no charge from them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

I get proof of no claims but never have I gotten proof driving experience. proof of driving experience is given for people listed as named drivers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Also, insurers are not obliged to provide any details about named drivers, other than through the Data Protection process

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

But yet all Insurers that offer a discount for 'Named Driving Experience' will ask for proof of this.......normally a letter from the previous Insurer is required.

So the very people that are apparently not required to provide a letter will then ask a prospective client for this particular letter ? ;)

mgbgt1978 wrote:
    But yet all Insurers that offer a discount for 'Named Driving Experience' will ask for proof of this.......normally a letter from the previous Insurer is required.

mgbgt1978 wrote:
    So the very people that are apparently not required to provide a letter will then ask a prospective client for this particular letter ?

So they should assist a competitor in your opinion, free of charge? A lot of people think insurance in Ireland is a cartel, so you would think they should make it easy for a fellow conspirator. The contract is with the policy holder, that is where the obligation ends 'for free'

If another Insurer is willing to offer a lower quote then the original insurer is hardly "competing". If they were then there would be no need to request proof of Driving experience.
    Also the wording of your post "Also, insurers are not obliged to provide any details about named drivers, other than through the Data Protection process" does seem to imply that Insurers do not even have to provide this Letter if they don't feel like it.
    BTW I never mentioned 'free of charge'.

• Advertisement

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    If another Insurer is willing to offer a lower quote then the original insurer is hardly "competing". If they were then there would be no need to request proof of Driving experience.
    Also the wording of your post "Also, insurers are not obliged to provide any details about named drivers, other than through the Data Protection process" does seem to imply that Insurers do not even have to provide this Letter if they don't feel like it.
    BTW I never mentioned 'free of charge'.

I think you are a bit lost in your argument. The other insurer, as you put it, is looking for proof of driving experience for a named driver. The insurer where he is named may not even want the business at any price, but why would he issue a document for free?.

I repeat, BTW, that insurers do not have to provide information about named drivers if they so feel inclined, other than through a data protection request

I am far from lost about anything.
    My point is quite simple. A new Insurer will not give a Discount for named driving experience simply on the word of the proposer. They will seek proof of this experience.
    Yet the only way that this experience can be proven is by the issuance of a letter from the 1st insurer.
    But according to your good self the 1st Insurer is under no obligation (whether a Fee is charged or not) to provide this proof.
    Yet this 1st Insurer could often be the very Company that would seek this letter if they were the Proposer's new Insurer.

In other words:
    'We need this item to provide you with cover at this price....but the very item we are insisting upon is something that we ourselves could deny to provide to somebody else if we feel like it'.

You were the poster that stated that an Insurer is not obliged to provide this information. I am just wondering how the same insurer could then possibly insist on the provision of this information to allow a contract to continue.

And again, I never mentioned a Fee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

The idea that they are doing anything for free is a bit strange. Isn't there a premium paid for the insurance they are looking for proof of?

But according to your good self the 1st Insurer is under no obligation (whether a Fee is charged or not) to provide this proof.
    Yet this 1st Insurer could often be the very Company that would seek this letter if they were the Proposer's new Insurer.

Yep

No wonder the Industry that employs you has such a good reputation in this Country. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

No wonder the Industry that employs you has such a good reputation in this Country. :rolleyes:

I gave you the facts, I haven't defended the practice, you don't appear to understand the concept. Not my problem

bmwguy wrote: »
    Isn't there a premium paid for the insurance they are looking for proof of?

The named driver paid for nothing and is entitled to nothing. The policyholder who paid the premium is the client

• Registered Users Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I am far from lost about anything.
    My point is quite simple. A new Insurer will not give a Discount for named driving experience simply on the word of the proposer. They will seek proof of this experience.
    Yet the only way that this experience can be proven is by the issuance of a letter from the 1st insurer.

In other words:
    'We need this item to provide you with cover at this price....but the very item we are insisting upon is something that we ourselves could deny to provide to somebody else if we feel like it'.

You were the poster that stated that an Insurer is not obliged to provide this information. I am just wondering how the same insurer could then possibly insist on the provision of this information to allow a contract to continue.

And again, I never mentioned a Fee

If you get a policy from the same company that you had named driver experience with they don't need proof, as they already have it. If you change company then you will be charged for the proof, the companies aren't charities and some charge more for less.

You are absolutely correct.
    Except that Sue Pa Key Pa stated that Insurers are not obliged to give you a letter of proof, even though you may be perfectly happy to pay for it.

On another note, not all companies charge for a named driver letter. But that has nothing to do with my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 D.stelia

Do anyone have any idea if I can request an experience letter as a named driver if the person who had the insurance pass away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

D.stelia wrote: »
    Do anyone have any idea if I can request an experience letter as a named driver if the person who had the insurance pass away?

Insurers should take a more empathetic view in these circumstances. Just ring them, explain the situation and they should help you out without too much hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Mikesound

It's for women by any chance?
    I have to provide 5 years NDE for a new policy.
    This is across 3 different insurers.
    2 companies: phone call and email. Done in an afternoon.
    Its4women. Can't call direct. iMessage for callback. Wrong form sent. iMessage for callback. €20 demanded for NDE. Nothing sent. iMessage for callback. No callback. iMessage for callback. No callback. iMessage for callback. No callback.
    11 days after document request. 7 days after payment. 3 days waiting on a callback.
    Vehicle parked up as although it's insured, I have no disc as current insurer will only issue on receipt of NDE.
    Can't tax until I produce insurance disc.
    Losing money daily while I'm forced to wait.
    Who do I turn to now?
    It's 4 women are absolutely f**king useless.

Advertisement