Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

starting a craft business

Options
  • 27-04-2017 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

hi all not sure if im in the right place but has anyone got any idea of how much i can earn before i have to pay tax. ive started doing a bit more and was just wondering what the story was. Thanks for all your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Well, you have to do a tax returns even if you only earn 1c! It's not really a quick and hard answer... It depends on if you have children etc.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/tax/income_tax/taxation_of_self_employed_people.html

You're tax credits are not much more than a grand and a half a year.

If you want an opinion...

Perhaps you're doing it as a hobby for a few months, as a learning experience.:rolleyes: Now really really factor in every single cost, craft fairs, hosting website fees, bank charges on your account, petrol to go to said fairs, materials, cost your time mindful that @9.25 euro per hour is minimum wage.

This might give you a picture on where to start. Regarding Tax for the self employed, you start with PRSI etc. even if you're earning nothing.

It's not very helpful I know, a simple question but a complicated answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭B00!

namenotavailabl has a tax calculator listed on his signature line, it might help you calculate taxes on earnings

Advertisement