Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thyroid medication

Options
  • 26-04-2017 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Have any of you tried to give up your medication? If so, how did it go?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Have you discussed it with your doctor? Thyroid medication is replacing an essential hormone, it's not something you can just give up. If you're unhappy there's other types of medication.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Hi. Just wondering why you're thinking about giving up the medication? Are you getting side effects?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Newbie H

My doctor suggested I try it as I am on such a low dose. I am five days of it now but the symptoms returned after two days so I am going to go back on it now.

I was completely fine on the medication. But after giving it up for five days all my symptoms returned. I wouldn't recommend it unless you reduce it gradually not go cold turkey.

Newbie H wrote: »
    My doctor suggested I try it as I am on such a low dose. I am five days of it now but the symptoms returned after two days so I am going to go back on it now.

It takes longer than 2 days for it to leave your system so it's probably more that youre expecting it to happen.

Talk to your doctor before going against their advice, they will want to do blood tests.

• Advertisement

I know it takes longer than two days to leave your system. But I am presuming my body can't cope without daily medication.

I know it takes longer than two days to leave your system. But I am presuming my body can't cope without daily medication.

It takes 6 weeks to leave your system, your body has enough hormone to sustain it for weeks more.
    The same way it takes weeks for an increase in medication to have any effect.

It takes 6 weeks to leave your system, your body has enough hormone to sustain it for weeks more.
    The same way it takes weeks for an increase in medication to have any effect.

I know it takes six weeks for blood results to change. But symptom wise it only needs days. There are withdrawal symptoms from stopping the daily dose.

I know it takes six weeks for blood results to change. But symptom wise it only needs days. There are withdrawal symptoms from stopping the daily dose.

Why ask if you're going to argue with the answer? Google it or ask your doctor.
    It takes weeks for the hormone to leave your body.

I'm unfollowing this thread, why would i waste more time trying to help someone who just disagrees!!

Advertisement