Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4-5km Open Water swim

Options
  • 26-04-2017 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi guys
    Just wondering if anyone here knows of an IM / 5km swim taking place before the end of July this year? I always like to get the distance covered in advance of races and have used events like Glendalough (Sept) in the past. Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

https://www.facebook.com/events/718229948351840/?ti=as

Not sure if this is what you're after or not but I've swam with them before and they're a nice crowd and well run

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

Cheers asrv the one weekend i can't do but ill keep an eye on their page for further events.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭nok2008

Not the distance you looling for but The rebel plunge swim is 3.6km. It's on early June but is full but I think there is a waiting list. They are on Facebook so may be worth dropping a line.

Exact distance required nok cheers ill drop them a mail

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭fincollins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭griffin100

fincollins wrote: »

I see the Killary swim still requires swimmers to wear flotation devices. Bit of a joke really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Why is it a joke?

Thanks fincollins but i need an event between now and early / mid-July

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

buck65 wrote: »
    Why is it a joke?

They haven't been rated, tested or been proven as safety devices, and can provide a false sense of security which could lead to someone attempting a swim they shouldn't. People can get tangled in them, and they double the number of objects in the water for the safety cover team to track. The safety cover should be big enough and positioned adequately so that no other devices are needed.

Most events don't allow them for the above reasons, and rightly so imo..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭griffin100

WeeBushy wrote: »
    They haven't been rated, tested or been proven as safety devices, and can provide a false sense of security which could lead to someone attempting a swim they shouldn't. People can get tangled in them, and they double the number of objects in the water for the safety cover team to track. The safety cover should be big enough and positioned adequately so that no other devices are needed.

Most events don't allow them for the above reasons, and rightly so imo..

This ^^^^

My big worry is that using these gives weaker swimmers who possibly should not be the event a false sense of security, whilst allowing the organisers to skimp on safety cover (not saying this is happening here). I know wetsuits can do something similar but assistance aids should not be encouraged in longer swims imho. It's a bit like Ironman introducing 'rest rafts' into some of their event swims, it's not a great idea and decreases rather than increases safety.

These devices have their uses when you're doing a long swim on your own - this is worth reading https://loneswimmer.com/2015/09/02/review-chill-swim-safety-tow-floats-and-inflatable-dry-bags/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Just genuinely interested. I swim with one most times in the lake and I'm hoping to do a few OW events over the summer perhaps culminating with the 3.9km Killary harbour swim.
    I swim in a masters club but have only swam 20mins OW at a time. Hoping to ramp this up over the summer.
    Am I out of my depth for Killary would you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

buck65 wrote: »
    Just genuinely interested. I swim with one most times in the lake and I'm hoping to do a few OW events over the summer perhaps culminating with the 3.9km Killary harbour swim.
    I swim in a masters club but have only swam 20mins OW at a time. Hoping to ramp this up over the summer.
    Am I out of my depth for Killary would you think?

Nothing wrong with using them when swimming solo/in a small group but they ain't so good in big events with many people of varying abilities & experience.

I would say if you were swimming 3.9km tomorrow you'd be out of your depth, but that distance swim is definitely achievable by the end of September with OW training I think.

I'd recommend increasing your OW distances incrementally over the summer, and make sure to get as much sea swimming in as possible. Lake swimming is great practice (especially when the sea is a bit chilly atm) but is no substitute for sea swims imo. Although I don't know what the conditions are like in Killary, maybe it's more lake-like as it's a fjord..?

Masters sessions are brilliant for fitness, technique work and speed, but not as good for getting used to swimming for a long time without a break. You could add in/substitute a masters session for a long swim where you just get in the pool and bang out 1/2/3km straight to build up some confidence that you can swim that length of time without stopping. Then translate that into OW sessions throughout the summer..

Beautiful place for a swim, looks like it would be a lot of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭jmark

Hi there Paulie

Sheephaven bay sea swim 8th July - 3.5km

"Come and swim in the beautiful Sheephaven Bay in County Donegal! This 3.5km swim will start from the iconic Horn Head and you will swim back to our base at Portnablagh pier."

Details here:

https://www.facebook.com/events/138544806689662/?acontext=%7B%22action_history%22%3A%22

Entry via Active.com

http://www.active.com/portnablagh-codonegal/water-sports/swimming-races/sheephaven-bay-swim-2017

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Update of the Munster calendar. I'd presume lake caragh end of Aug . Debit 10k mid sept will be added

Of course if anyone is down at the home of open water swimming at sandycove island kinsale here is the swim calendar

Fenit 10k
    Pidae.m wrote: »
    Update of the Munster calendar. I'd presume lake caragh end of Aug . Debit 10k mid sept will be added

Advertisement