Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Egg Mayo - one week past best before date

Options
  • 26-04-2017 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Just bought a pre-packed carton of egg mayo from my local supermarket. Was half way through my egg-mayo sambo when I thought it tasted funny. Had a look & to my horror saw that the best before date was 20/04. Today is 26/04. I genuinely feel nauseaus now, but that could possibly be all in my head, or I could be brewing salmonella. I just dont know. I returned the product to the shop & got a refund and an apology. I'm still uneasy & wondering if I should have made a bigger fuss. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Did you not check the dates before buying. Also you got a refund and an apology what more do you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

Just bought a pre-packed carton of egg mayo from my local supermarket. Was half way through my egg-mayo sambo when I thought it tasted funny. Had a look & to my horror saw that the best before date was 20/04. Today is 26/04. I genuinely feel nauseaus now, but that could possibly be all in my head, or I could be brewing salmonella. I just dont know. I returned the product to the shop & got a refund and an apology. I'm still uneasy & wondering if I should have made a bigger fuss. Any thoughts?
    Probably in your head but that's not saying you won't still get the ****s ...not much you can do about it now unfortunately just stay close to a toilet..best before dates are normally just a guide on the freshness of the product..if lucky you might not have any adverse reaction..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

There is nothing more to be done. It was a Best Before date, for a start, and you never looked at it when buying anyway. You got the refund and apology. That was sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

A best before date means just what it says. It will be at its best before that date but that does not mean it cannot be consumed afterwards.
    A use by date means just what it says too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

From the use of a best before it must not have any eggs in it so you are fine.

Food poisoning takes several hours to hit, anything quicker is either an allergic reaction or placebo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

While I do look at dates I would also check the way I always did, before dates on stuff was so ubiquitous. Give it a sniff and eyeball it.

If you are horrified at the thought of eating things 6 days past the BB you would probably drop dead with shock with the stuff I eat!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I would be very surprised if Egg Mayo had a BB date on it - it's normally a Use By date on salads like that. You got your refund and that's as much as you can expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

TBH OP I would imagine it's all in your head.

You got an apology and you got a refund - the retailers aren't required to do any more than that and they shouldn't have to in case like this. No major harm was done.

What more do you want or think you are entitled to?

My advise....next time check dates before you buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Egg mayonnaise absolutely would have a "use by" date on it, rather than a "best before".

If the OP actually contracts salmonella, then he/she might have a case for further action, but until then, it's just one of those things unfortunately. Most eggs used in industrial facilities would be pasteurised anyway so unless they were making it fresh out the back, you're probably safe enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭pontoonz

try to puke up all the mayonnaise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

OP - if they are part of a chain, then you consider making a complaint to HQ about the stock rotation and management.

But genuinely, they have refunded you and apologised. That would be enough for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Contact the local environmental health. It might prevent some other poor sod getting ill.

Another issue at this time of year is shops not having coolers etc up high enough so stuff is spoiling in the heat.

Advertisement