Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon Majors expanding

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

I'd guess Dubai, maybe Hong Kong?

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

This is the whole reason I never bought into the "majors" crap. Just a marketing ploy!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

sideswipe wrote: »

Seconding this - they do specify "Asia, outside of Japan" and both of those are pretty well recognised. Wouldn't be surprised to see one in mainland China as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Isn't the whole point about majors that they should be relatively rare and higher profile to the regular events and have a significant amount of history. There's 4 in tennis, 4 in golf. Adding more just dilutes the prestige regarding winning one. Imagine if Indian Wells, Miami, Rome and Monte Carlo ATP events suddenly became tennis majors. It would be laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Interesting, the Chinese Wanda website says specifically that they intend one of the races to be in China.
    I would have thought Beijing being the obvious choice, though Wanda are based in Dalian (a huge Chinese city) and there is an"international marathon" there annually so who knows?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Supercell wrote: »
    Interesting, the Chinese Wanda website says specifically that they intend one of the races to be in China.
    I would have thought Beijing being the obvious choice, though Wanda are based in Dalian (a huge Chinese city) and there is an"international marathon" there annually so who knows?

A marathon in smog. Mmmmm yes please!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Chivito550 wrote: »
    A marathon in smog. Mmmmm yes please!!

All about the money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

sideswipe wrote: »
    Can't be Hong Kong....not terrifically well organised (no pacers, and the start line is mayhem), and a fairly boring route (75% of it is on motorway to and from the container port).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

In terms of quality, Paris, Amsterdam and Rotterdam could be high on the list, but as someone already mentioned, how many majors do you want?

Will anyone do a "Grand Slam"?

Advertisement