Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a long slow game?

Options
  • 26-04-2017 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a long slow game to play.
    By that i mean something where the game progresses in real-time but takes a very long time.

Examples: Call of war (facebook), Stronghold Kingdoms.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,345 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Eve?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

L.A Noire was a good slow paced game. Detective game set in the 50s running on the GTA engine. the action sections are rubbish, and as far as I can remember can be skipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Witcher 3, Civ, Xcom 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Stellaris

Civ, marathon setting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

If you like puzzles then The Witness is nice and chilled and not too difficult

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Worth mentioning euro truck simulator 2, amazingly relaxing with infinite replayability, playable with a pad but far better with a wheel and pedal setup but don't let that put you off if you don't have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Not sure I completely understand request, but if you do want a game, that is not rushing you to the wall and can be as long as you want, with extremely high replayability, then look in to factorio.
    I know I sound biast here, because I play it like lunatic and I am pretty sure other forum members thing I am crazy, but its fantastic long game, which really makes gears in your head work too.
    If you want long game play normal factorio, if you want stupidly long game, in which case apes will take over planet and you still going to be playing it, then try modded version.
    For example I had my last factory at 50h mark and I was not even near end goals of game. I scrapped it amd started brand new one on monday woth massove grin on my face.

I think you're all missing the stipulation "progresses in real-time".

I played a game called Screeps (https://screeps.com/) for a while but you need to have a basic handle on programming. You write a bunch of scripts telling your little guys to mine, build and reproduce. You then leave it overnight to see how they get on. It's funny when they all kill themselves in a dead end loop because of your incompetence.

Then there is Idle Warriors for android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.orca.dungeon&hl=en_GB

• Registered Users Posts: 12,345 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yeah that's why i mentioned EVE as that is what I thought OP wanted, a game that continues on in real time even when not being played

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Sins of a Solar Empire maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Give Rimworld a go

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Skerries wrote: »
    Eve?

Play it!

ScumLord wrote: »
    L.A Noire was a good slow paced game. Detective game set in the 50s running on the GTA engine. the action sections are rubbish, and as far as I can remember can be skipped.

LA Noire needs constant attention though, game needs to be able to mind itself, play in the background, with me checking in every so often to give commands.

Have played that though, is fun.

Civ isn't quite progressing in real time, but it is the kind of thing i can do in bite size chunks. Cheers.
    If you like puzzles then The Witness is nice and chilled and not too difficult

Will check it out, thanks

Dcully wrote: »
    Worth mentioning euro truck simulator 2, amazingly relaxing with infinite replayability, playable with a pad but far better with a wheel and pedal setup but don't let that put you off if you don't have one.

Great game. American Truck Simulator is good too, but the lack of truck variety is a little frustrating.

I think you're all missing the stipulation "progresses in real-time".

I played a game called Screeps (https://screeps.com/) for a while but you need to have a basic handle on programming. You write a bunch of scripts telling your little guys to mine, build and reproduce. You then leave it overnight to see how they get on. It's funny when they all kill themselves in a dead end loop because of your incompetence.

Then there is Idle Warriors for android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.orca.dungeon&hl=en_GB

I tried screeps for a while. Very interesting. I do know a bit of programming. I might get back to this!

In return, i can recommend Gladiabots (android and PC)
    You control robots that have to fight/mine/etc, and you design an AI program with a flow-chart builder. You then press play, and see how your AI program fares at the scenario in question.
    Stuff like: if no enemy in range "short", approach food "closest", else shoot enemy, stuff like that.
    https://madewith.unity.com/en/games/gladiabots

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Give Rimworld a go

Same guys that made Prison architect aye? Is it very similar? Art style seems near-identical.

Intersting. If turn based stuff tickles your fancy, this is very good: http://battlebrothersgame.com/

Real(ish)-time campaign map and turn based battle. Lots of unit customisation, gear, loot, skills, etc.

Stay away from Ghouls though. They wreck your ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

CruelCoin wrote: »
    LA Noire needs constant attention though, game needs to be able to mind itself, play in the background, with me checking in every so often to give commands.

Have played that though, is fun.

Banished maybe?

Jaysus, learn to multi-quote :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Same guys that made Prison architect aye? Is it very similar? Art style seems near-identical.

The art style is identical, because the Dev for Rimworld apparently asked the Dev from Prison Architect if he could use his art assets and he said no problem. The Devs are different though, but the art style is identical alright.

The art style is identical, because the Dev for Rimworld apparently asked the Dev from Prison Architect if he could use his art assets and he said no problem. The Devs are different though, but the art style is identical alright.

I love that game but the UI needs an overhaul badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

Mount & Blade: Warband, Empire Total war(or any Total war game) Even try out a few Civilization games.

They're turn based and so not at all what the OP wants though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I love that game but the UI needs an overhaul badly.

I personally thought it adds to the charm.

But I can see parts of it are irritating alright.

Shiminay wrote: »
    Jaysus, learn to multi-quote :P

Ewwwww, posts everywhere! :P

Gotta

get

that

• Advertisement

Advertisement