Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a Coach - advice?

Options
  • 26-04-2017 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm based in Galway and looking for coaching to improve my long distance performances (half marathon and beyond) . I'm a novice with a few races under my belt.

I posted a strong performance at the weekend in the Connemara Ultra (4 hours 37 minutes) and want to push for a sub 3 marathon (I ran Clonakilty in December in 3h:26m).

What are my best options - should I be looking to join a club? I did some quick research and didn't see much information on personal running coaches. My current idea is to follow Hansons method for my next race if I don't commit to coaching.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

Join your local club, pay your membership and get the free advice from experienced coaches and runners. Depending on what part of Galway you live, Galway City Harriers are one of the largest clubs in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

If you join a club, you'll not only get coaching, you'll get to train with people who are running the same races and have similar time goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭pgarr

PVincent wrote: »
    Join your local club, pay your membership and get the free advice from experienced coaches and runners. Depending on what part of Galway you live, Galway City Harriers are one of the largest clubs in the country

Thanks Vincent.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭pgarr

RayCun wrote: »
    If you join a club, you'll not only get coaching, you'll get to train with people who are running the same races and have similar time goals.

Thanks Ray - Appreciate the input.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

pgarr wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm based in Galway and looking for coaching to improve my long distance performances (half marathon and beyond) . I'm a novice with a few races under my belt.

I posted a strong performance at the weekend in the Connemara Ultra (4 hours 37 minutes) and want to push for a sub 3 marathon (I ran Clonakilty in December in 3h:26m).

What are my best options - should I be looking to join a club? I did some quick research and didn't see much information on personal running coaches. My current idea is to follow Hansons method for my next race if I don't commit to coaching.

Thanks in advance.

All good advice. After a performance like this on Sunday you should aim quite a bit lower than merely sub 3.
    Not in club myself but thinking about it.

P&D book is my bible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

echancrure wrote: »
    All good advice. After a performance like this on Sunday you should aim quite a bit lower than merely sub 3.
    Not in club myself but thinking about it.

P&D book is my bible.

maybe I'm being thick but P&D book what's this??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

P&D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

I used P&D for Dublin last year. Did all the training on my own and finished in under 3 hours. There is a few different programmes in it depending on how much you want to run each week and how many weeks out you want to train for the marathon. I went with the 18 week and over 85 miles a week. In the last few weeks of it you hit 24 miles on your long run on Sunday, you need to be very comfortable with yourself but doing that gave me massive confidence.

Saying all that for my next marathon I have joined a running club. I only go once a week and its usually when they are doing intervals. I find the quality of these runs has improved a lot doing them with a group than on my own. Plus there is no miss counting, so no skipping out of a run just because you can.

Advertisement