Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Humble Software Bundle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Do people actually defrag their drives anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

The only thing I see there that I might actually pay real money for is the vpn if I didn't have one already.
    quarryman wrote: »

Not if they have an ssd, if you have a traditional hard disk seek times are still glacial. But I would say opensource ultradefrag would be as good as that yoke. I had an i5 laptop last week that was taking about 15 minutes to boot, about 40 seconds to open the start menu every time and about 2 minutes to start tiny programs like taskman because the MFT and registry hive were fragmented.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

I've used Revo Uninstaller for years to manage app uninstalls instead of letting Add/Remove Programs do it. Was happy to throw a dollar their way for the Pro version with this bundle.

Most of the other ones are pure junk though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

quarryman wrote: »

Majority of the stuff looks like it would do more harm than good too... And why the hell would anyone pay for WinZip, when using 7zip cost nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Are they not all just 12 month contracts ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

IObit, the company that makes malware fighter, advanced system care, driver booster and smart defrag, have in the past made malware and installed it on its customer's PCs.

IObit has been proven to have stolen code from Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes accused IObit of installing malware on their user's PCs IObit initially sued Malwarebytes but backed down.

So 4 of the 10 products will try to steal your credit card info and sell it to third parties, I can't believe, Humble Bundle is supporting this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

everyone wrote:
    And why the hell would anyone pay for WinZip

- Established 1993.

Poor old WinZip. I'll buy a licence right after I register mIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭paddym1

Not too sure about the software on offer, but I had to laugh when I saw this on the website:

I paid the dollar because Todo Backup free has been very handy for me down the years when migrating my devices to SSDs. I've heard Revo Uninstaller is good so might start using the Pro version. The rest, to me, seems like muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭j_lennon18

+1 for Todo Backup. I have been using the free version for years and it saved me 2 times (1 HD failure & 1 blue screen of death). I also used it a few times migrating an OS to a newer drive. I will pay the $1 for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

I've used Revo Uninstaller for years to manage app uninstalls instead of letting Add/Remove Programs do it. Was happy to throw a dollar their way for the Pro version with this bundle.

Most of the other ones are pure junk though.
    Yep me too, been using the free version for years. Now I will upgrade......for a small fee:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,645 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

grogi wrote: »
    Majority of the stuff looks like it would do more harm than good too... And why the hell would anyone pay for WinZip, when using 7zip cost nothing.

I always wondered. Never met anyone who paid for WinZip / WinRar etc, but apparently they've made millions

http://discuss.joelonsoftware.com/default.asp?biz.5.331272.21

I confess I paid to register mIRC. I saved hundreds downloading "stuff" from xdcc bots back in the day....I felt guilty so coughed up a tenner in a sale. Ironically it was around the time bittorrent was born so probably stopped using mIRC forever soon after.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

mrcheez wrote: »
    I always wondered. Never met anyone who paid for WinZip / WinRar etc, but apparently they've made millions

http://discuss.joelonsoftware.com/default.asp?biz.5.331272.21

When it comes to WinZIP - I understand someone paying for it it back in the 90s, not now... WinRAR is a different story - worth especially for the for superior encryption.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

grogi wrote: »
    When it comes to WinZIP - I understand someone paying for it it back in the 90s, not now... WinRAR is a different story - worth especially for the for superior encryption.

7-zip is better than both and is free.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Trojan wrote: »
    - Established 1993.

Poor old WinZip. I'll buy a licence right after I register mIRC.

Slightly relevant
    https://i.imgur.com/TaNq2Ba.mp4 ( 10 MB )

But yeah 7zip allows you to tweak the level of compression. (handy if you had an idea of how much repeatability there was in the data)
    So you could make it faster than WinZip.

Or compress better than WinZip's compressiest compression. Even when you include the overhead of downloading it to read a single email with a few drawings.

As for backups, try this for disaster recovery.
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/ee656415.aspx , just remember to untick the VHDX box.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Delighted to see Winzip made so much money. I used it all the time back in college - in 1996. Our computer labs started out running Win 3.1.

Advertisement