Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday by myself

Options
  • 25-04-2017 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm planning on going on a holiday around the start of June. The only issue is I can't seem to drum up any interest amongst my friends. However I am quite keen to do something! I'm thinking of either a city break in Europe for 3-4 nights or a sun holiday to the likes of Spain Portugal. To be honest I'm leaning more to the sun holiday as the idea of a few days by a beach with warm weather is very appealing!

Anyway, I'm just wondering on what people think the best option might be? Anyone have any experience of going on a holiday alone? Like I said I'm leaning toward the sun holiday but my only concern is if there is enough to do for 3-4 days or will I get bored with beaches and pools! Going to the likes of Berlin, Rome etc might offer more activities and sights.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm a single male in my mid twenties by the way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭lc180

Barcelona has a beach and the sightseeing. Top notch city too. It was the first city I ever did a solo trip to and haven't looked back since.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭MontyChips

Hi all,

I'm planning on going on a holiday around the start of June. The only issue is I can't seem to drum up any interest amongst my friends. However I am quite keen to do something! I'm thinking of either a city break in Europe for 3-4 nights or a sun holiday to the likes of Spain Portugal. To be honest I'm leaning more to the sun holiday as the idea of a few days by a beach with warm weather is very appealing!

Anyway, I'm just wondering on what people think the best option might be? Anyone have any experience of going on a holiday alone? Like I said I'm leaning toward the sun holiday but my only concern is if there is enough to do for 3-4 days or will I get bored with beaches and pools! Going to the likes of Berlin, Rome etc might offer more activities and sights.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm a single male in my mid twenties by the way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Somewhere like any of the resorts near Malaga would give you beaches and also give you the option of many day trips inland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I went to Vigo in North West Spain on my own a few years back, perfect. Not too touristy, plenty to do. Beaches and Islands or my hotel had a roof top pool. I did 4 nights and was never lonely. Went back with friends last year when Ryanair started flying direct from Dublin and we all loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 revol23

Lisbon would be a great option. Plenty to see and do for 4 days. Pubs, clubs, Music, theatre all available in English. Day trip to Belem. If you wanted you could fly in Lisbon for 2-3 days and get the train/bus to the Algarve for last few days. Its a couple of hours away. Best of both worlds. Avoid July/August for the Algarve as things get crazy with the price of accommodation. Even hostels are insane.

I went to Morocco on my own. 34yr old female here. Its an amazing place. I would recommend flying into Marrakech and take a day trip to Essaouira. Bit of pre planning and assertiveness was needed for me but as a male you shouldn't have any problems.

If you are prepared to spend a bit morr money there are some really good companies that offer trips away where theg have a pre planned itinerary and are solo friendly. Travel Department are great but pricey. I went to China with them. While they were expensive it was the easiest trip I've ever had as one of the very few times I didn't plan everything. Just pay and arrive at the airport!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Im just back from Porto went solo just wanted a break away and pin another location on my travel map
    Lovely clean city highly recommend it and felt very safe there as a solo female traveller. Wish i had stayed a day or longer to do a few day trips from the city

Advertisement