Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employability As An Accountant Without a Third Level Degree

Options
  • 25-04-2017 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I am currently studying with the Chartered Accountants of Ireland at CAP1 on the flexible route. I qualify for this through the Accounting Technicians Course.

I am working in a small company with a very small accounts department ( myself and one senior) I act in an accounts receivable , accounts payable role also doing bank reconciliation, journals etc. I like the company I work but I worry that it is too small and my days are very routine, with not a lot of actual accounting involves besides journals etc.

When you look at any job listings for traineeships etc you will find that some of the minimum requirements include a third level degree.

My fear is that when I become fully qualified in a few years that I won't be as employable as my peers in practice or larger companies in industry.

I am looking for the opinions of employers and students in both industry and practice on what you think of my situation.

Comments

You will be at somewhat of a disadvantage as you aren't following the route taken by most people who train as accountants these days.

You might get filtered out by HR before getting to an interview.

In principle it shouldn't make any difference but it might limit you.

Are there any other ways you could distinguish yourself? Getting different experience, particular skills, interpersonal skills, networking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

You'll definitely find that a lot of places will filter your application at newly qualified level. These places will mainly be large organisations.

Once the filtering ends/eases off - approx. three years post qualification - you'll be on a more even playing field as there will be more scrutiny of your actual CV.

The main downside long term is a lack of experience in large organisations, lots of places, even small places want you to have worked for a large organisation in the past.

Advertisement