Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adoption certs Werburgh St. v Joyce House

Options
  • 25-04-2017 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi, I am about to begin a search for my birth mother with my non identifying information. Could somebody explain to me through difference in forms found in Joyce House on Lombard Street and those found in Werburgh Street. I was told that I can find my own original birth certificate and that of others afterwards in Lombard Street but I'm not sure what I would find in Werburgh Street.

Thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Werburgh St provides research copies only. They have identical information but cannot be used for legal purposes like getting a passport.

You cannot search in Lombard St, just get legal certs.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 17 mucker2b

Thank you pinkypinky. I read another thread earlier from this week and it seems that the GRO is where I should start. Am I correct in saying that is Werburgh Street?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Yep, it's in Werburgh Street.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thank you hermy. I managed to get my full birth name and my mother's name from the non -identifying information given to me by Tusla. Next step now is to trace my mother's details.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 PJTUMBLEWEED

Hi mucker2b,

I also got my non-identifying information from Tulsa, but I didn't get an age for my birth mother or where she was from, not even a Provence. I was just wondering did you get this information? and if you didn't how are you going to find your birth mother's birth certificate?

• Advertisement

Hi mucker2b,

I also got my non-identifying information from Tulsa, but I didn't get an age for my birth mother or where she was from, not even a Provence. I was just wondering did you get this information? and if you didn't how are you going to find your birth mother's birth certificate?

Hi Pj,

The info that I got from Tusla included the following ;

Christian name only
    Hospital of birth
    Weight at birth
    Mother's age
    Mother's home county
    Brief details about her relationship with her own mother and father and my own father
    Time scales from my birth to being moved between mother and baby homes and adoption agencies before finally being adopted

From this information I was able to determine my surname in the GRO by searching through the books. I was then able to request my birth cert and my mother's name was on the cert.
    I now have a few options for my mother having checked the years around her own year of birth, using her age at my birth as a guide.

Hope this helps,
    Mucker2b

Thanks for reply,

I got my non-identifying info earlier this year, I did ask my for b mothers age and where she was from but was't given an answer, so I really did get non-identifying info!!

Good luck with your search.

Thanks for reply,

I got my non-identifying info earlier this year, I did ask my for b mothers age and where she was from but was't given an answer, so I really did get non-identifying info!!

Good luck with your search.

afaik of they have that info that you are looking for them you are entitled to it. It is only when it comes to birth certs etc. that complications kick in wrt privacy etc. If try them again and ask. Maybe there is no info there add it could have been 'mislaid' but I'd ask specifically if I were you.

Maybe there is no info there and it could have been 'mislaid'

I'm fairly certain that Tulsa have the information, they just didn't want to give it to me, I imagine the staff are under orders and are only doing their jobs. Thanks again, your replies were helpful to me. Looks like I'll have to wait for the adoption Bill to be passed, lets hope my birth mother and birth father live long enough for me to meet them.

Maybe there is no info there and it could have been 'mislaid'

I'm fairly certain that Tulsa have the information, they just didn't want to give it to me, I imagine the staff are under orders and are only doing their jobs. Thanks again, your replies were helpful to me. Looks like I'll have to wait for the adoption Bill to be passed, lets hope my birth mother and birth father live long enough for me to meet them.

Your welcome, no problem at all. Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Have you tried asking the Adoption Authority for your non-identifying information?

They provided me with my mothers age and home county, information which TUSLA did not provide to me!

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thanks Hermy,

I'll look into that.

Advertisement