Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

headphone jack to Optical Problem

• 25-04-2017 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

Hi

Just bought a new Samsung TV. I have a nice set of harmon Kardon soundsticks with only a 3.5mm headphone jack attached. I have bought cheap convertors from amazon and it doesn't work being able to control the TV sound from the TV remote.

Is there any way round this or other convertors available?

Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I'm guessing the optical out on the TV isn't controlled by the TV volume control ? Not unusual as the optical out would normally connect to an external amplifier with it's own controls.

Does the TV have a headphone socket ? That should be controllable using the TV remote.

What's the model number of the TV ?

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭kod12

Cheers for the reply its the Samsung UE49KS7000. Only has optical out and HDMI ARC outputs for sound. I tried a convertor but it just gives a constant sound level out and doesn't change when I use the TV remote.

If theres no convertor that can do it is there a soundbar alternative 2.1 system with a sub that has hdmi arc or optical inputs

Cheers

Advertisement