Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get German TV in Ireland?

Options
  • 25-04-2017 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭

Im looking to get access to the normal German state tv stations ideally to watch on TV. What options are available? I don't have a satellite dish but I have good broadband so a broadband solution would be great. Is it worth looking into android/kodi boxes?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MaribelMC

If you have the possibility to put up a sat dish, there are loads of Free-To-Air German Channels in HD on Astra 19.2. If you go only via web, you have lots of flexibility, but for TV, I still think sat is the way to go.

Looking in Adverts there are any number of dishes around €20, and Free-to-Air receivers with record functionality around €40

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I still watch some german and austrian shows, I use a VPN provider that's 7 quid a month. Pretty much every station like Sat1, Kabel1, RTL, Pro7 etc has livestreams now on their homepages.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

LirW wrote: »
    I still watch some german and austrian shows, I use a VPN provider that's 7 quid a month. Pretty much every station like Sat1, Kabel1, RTL, Pro7 etc has livestreams now on their homepages.

im not very up on VPN , is it a general one that allows you to select a country IP or did you pick one that operates in Germany?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

silverharp wrote: »
    im not very up on VPN , is it a general one that allows you to select a country IP or did you pick one that operates in Germany?

I use CyberGhost. You can select the country. Handy if you want to watch BBC iPlayer as well as German online TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I use CyberGhost. You can select the country. Handy if you want to watch BBC iPlayer as well as German online TV.

Ill look into that thanks, do you have a "gadget" to watch it through the TV? I don't think my TV is fully "smart" but I can connect it to the internet to get hardware updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I use AirVPN, which also allows you to pick the country and they have pretty much every country. Very straight forward to use

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

silverharp wrote: »
    Ill look into that thanks, do you have a "gadget" to watch it through the TV? I don't think my TV is fully "smart" but I can connect it to the internet to get hardware updates.

Perhaps a chromecast would do well for this? You can cast from the Chrome browser to your tv this way

Advertisement