Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frame Works

Options
  • 24-04-2017 8:00pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Noob question but When working with html, css, javascript, php, mysql etc is it absolutely necessary too work with a framework? in industry? and is there a framework for Java, C Etc?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DefinitelyMarc

Noob question but When working with html, css, javascript, php, mysql etc is it absolutely necessary too work with a framework? in industry? and is there a framework for Java, C Etc?

Thanks

I'm sure there is, but I've yet to find one myself!
    If you're working for a big company with all those technologies, they'd be foolish not to use a framework to keep everything organised and have a standard for potential employees to meet.

There's spring and JSP/servlets for Java, but I'm not sure about C. C is more tied to the machine you're running on than anything else, so I doubt you'll find a good framework for it. Not sure why anyone would make one either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Depends what you mean, Frameworks can be just another name for libraries. A developer will always use some libraries (even if only the "standard" built-in one). Don't confuse the language itself with other components (java language vs java standard libraries).

Very often it's not enough to have "knowledge of language X" on cv - you must also know the common frameworks. With python this might mean numpy, with C++ this might mean boost or stl, with C this might mean socket api.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

I think it's important to note that a framework is a way to put structure on an application at the cost of flexibility/creativity. For this reason frameworks are extremely important in a team environment since it allows people to build on top of something they can all understand. But for an individual working on something by themselves a framework isn't always necessary, although they can provide significant productivity - back end web development would be an example of this.

Frameworks make sense when you want to make something specific with a versatile language. So that's why you see them a lot in Java, C#, Python, etc. But for domain specific languages such as HTML (structured markup), CSS (styling), and SQL (querying); frameworks don't make as much sense because these languages aren't all that versatile because they were designed for very specific tasks.

Then there's the framework vs library comparison. A framework usually forces you to do something a certain way where as a library generally gives you loose out of the box functionality. So on the client side of JavaScript (i.e. excluding Node) of things you have jQuery (a library) and the likes of React (framework). Personally I've never used a JavaScript framework on the client side since I've made do with jQuery - I've not done large scale front-end development though. Most of the popular languages will have frameworks and libraries. While a lot of the time you can make do without using a framework, it's very hard to do without libraries since otherwise you'd have to reinvent everything yourself. The difference between and interpretation of what constitutes a framework or library can be fairly ambiguous though.

Advertisement