Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixing Dings/Small chips in guitar top.

Options
  • 24-04-2017 7:33pm

Hi All

I've read, never to touch any cracks or dings in an acoustic guitar top.

In this instance, its a vintage, high end adirondack top.

From years of strumming it has some small exposures to the wood. Not cracks in the wood, but cracks in the lacquer, running parallel with the grain, with a tiny bit of depth.

I'd be tempted to treat them with some sort of lacquer to seal them over so that they are not exposed to moisture, or spills and to stop any further damage to them.

Any opinions?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

If it's high end as you say, bring it to someone who does this for a living. Personally, I like a bit of battle damage on my guitars. Gives them character

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

Definitely

A pro will have the right materials.

I know my way around building and repairs and I wouldn't do it as I couldn't guarantee an invisible repair

Thanks folks,

Indeed I'll run in by a pro luthier. I would agree there's nothing wrong at all with a bit of character, but its the sort of wear, that a plectrum could get caught on, and make a bigger hole.

I think also that if liquid got on it, it could ingress onto the wood. So I really want to prevent abut potential further damage, rather that to just improve the physical appearance. As far as I know I think its at least AA if not AAA adirondack top.

Thanks again.

Advertisement