Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk focus on congestion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Any chance they'll mention metro north or dart underground?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/m50-becoming-rat-run-786874.html

I think it's past "rat-run"... the toll needs to be replaced immediately and driver lane discipline needs to be enforced, especially queue jumping

Sunday was just stupid, all the Munster fans heading down the N7. So why was the inside lane blocked? Because these fools couldn't get into the correct lane and/or used the inside lane to shoot up and skip causing traffic for the rest of us

I actually came to a complete stop at points between ballymount and red-cow on the inside lane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/m50-becoming-rat-run-786874.html

I think it's past "rat-run"... the toll needs to be replaced immediately and driver kane discipline needs to be enforced, especially queue jumping

I actually came to a complete stop at points between ballymount and red-cow on the inside lane

Ah yes, the old corporal punishment Father,

You can't beat a bit of the old corporal punishment now can you Fr?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭prunudo

I don't really understand his 'rat run" analogy. How else are people or goods supposed to get from say Finglas to Lucan or Sandyford to Tallaght. The other alternatives involve going through residential areas which I thought the whole idea of the m50 was trying resolve.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

jvan wrote: »
    I don't really understand his 'rat run" analogy. How else are people or goods supposed to get from say Finglas to Lucan or Sandyford to Tallaght. The other alternatives involve going through residential areas which I thought the whole idea of the m50 was trying resolve.
    Finglas - Lucan is 2 junctions. Sandyford - Tallght is also 2 junctions.

I think he's talking more about Clondalkin - Lucan or Finglas - Ballymun. There needs to be more local roads for simple junction hopping. It's not what the M50 was designed for.

Of course completing the Outer Ring from the N4 to the N3 would be a big help. Of course the M50 is choca from J7 to J6 when there's no legal alternative route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭prunudo

Were the auxiliary lanes not built for this purpose? Personally I think driver discipline is the biggest issue, both lane and speed. Crossing hatched lines and 2 lanes of traffic to get to 'fast lane' seems to be common place.
    Variable speed limits should sort a lot of the congestion but I can't see it working, we're not known for heeding to speed limits.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

jvan wrote: »
    Were the auxiliary lanes not built for this purpose? Personally I think driver discipline is the biggest issue, both lane and speed. Crossing hatched lines and 2 lanes of traffic to get to 'fast lane' seems to be common place.
    Variable speed limits should sort a lot of the congestion but I can't see it working, we're not known for heeding to speed limits.

Average speed cameras work very well. I remember being on them when the M1 was being widened (Watford to Luton) and all lanes were travelling at the posted speed limit - exactly - big yellow APNR cameras keeping watch.

If every entry to, and exit from, the motorways had APNR cameras, then speeding, insurance, NCT, and tax offences would be rare. Start with the M50, N7/M7, and M1, as they are the busiest.

Advertisement