Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moyville, Rathfarnham, Dublin 16

Options
  • 24-04-2017 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hello,
    Apologies if this topic has already been covered but I couldn't find anything here on boards. (Maybe that's a good thing!?)

I am looking to buy a house around the Rathfarnham area and with prices the way they are, this is one estate that seems reasonable. (Moyville Estate).

Asking prices have varied wildly but I think the most recent house on the price reg is up at €425k (asking price was €450 before Christmas). There were approx 5 of so houses for sale earlier this year.. Quite a lot for such a small estate.

Does anyone live there or know this area, or can offer some advice?

I know it is right beside Whitechurch and that the two estates are connected with a walkway. I have driven around at different times of the day and night. There have been some teenagers hanging around (down the back of the estate)... And I noticed the remnants of some bonfires in another field. But overall it seems quiet enough. I have also heard this estate may be above the snow line, I'm not too sure how true that is?

We have two young children and this purchase will be our life long, family home, so I would appreciate any comments, views, or advice about Moyville.

Many thanks in advance ...
    (Long time lurker)
    Post edited by L1011 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There isn't really much of a "snow line" in South Dublin.

This winter you would have seen little more than a dusting of snow, and most winters you might see a day or two. Unless you're properly way up in the mountains snow isn't a great issue. You get the odd icy days, but Moyville is close enough to everything that you'd never be stranded.

Moyville is slightly more affordable than some of the surrounding estates for a reason. It is - at worst - slightly downmarket from the rest of the area. The Whitechurch area would be more prone to anti-social behaviour, and Palmer park in particular.

It is South Dublin though. When I say anti-social behaviour, I mean teenagers hanging around, an obnoxious neighbour or two, having to tell your kids to get a lift home and not walk, maybe some graffiti on walls in parks and if you're unlucky the odd wave of damaged cars and attempted break-ins. I'm not talking about roaming rape gangs or being afraid to go outside your door at night.

The area is perfectly nice, a little separated from public services perhaps, though it's not a long walk. You're literally right beside the mountains and good parks. The area has good schools a short walk away (Ballyroan and Colaiste Eanna I think cover Moyville), and you're not far from the M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 boardbaby101

seamus wrote: »
    There isn't really much of a "snow line" in South Dublin.

This winter you would have seen little more than a dusting of snow, and most winters you might see a day or two. Unless you're properly way up in the mountains snow isn't a great issue. You get the odd icy days, but Moyville is close enough to everything that you'd never be stranded.

Moyville is slightly more affordable than some of the surrounding estates for a reason. It is - at worst - slightly downmarket from the rest of the area. The Whitechurch area would be more prone to anti-social behaviour, and Palmer park in particular.

It is South Dublin though. When I say anti-social behaviour, I mean teenagers hanging around, an obnoxious neighbour or two, having to tell your kids to get a lift home and not walk, maybe some graffiti on walls in parks and if you're unlucky the odd wave of damaged cars and attempted break-ins. I'm not talking about roaming rape gangs or being afraid to go outside your door at night.

The area is perfectly nice, a little separated from public services perhaps, though it's not a long walk. You're literally right beside the mountains and good parks. The area has good schools a short walk away (Ballyroan and Colaiste Eanna I think cover Moyville), and you're not far from the M50.

Thank you for such a detailed reply, you obviously know the area really well.. You have given me a lot to think about.

Would the proximity to Palmer Park and Whitechurch be an issue for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ToonArmy89

Would have no issue with Moyville . There has been anti social behaviour in regards bins being burnt out in Dollys Field in the estate over recent months but otherwise very little problems in the area.

Gap into Whitechurch wouldn't concern me as Whitechurch is far quieter then it was 10 years ago.

Moyville is a quiet estate with very few problems

• Registered Users Posts: 22 TomFun

We bought about 18 months ago on the other side of Whitechurch. It's proximity was a concern initially, however we have never had any bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ShayU

Hello,
    Apologies if this topic has already been covered but I couldn't find anything here on boards. (Maybe that's a good thing!?)

I am looking to buy a house around the Rathfarnham area and with prices the way they are, this is one estate that seems reasonable. (Moyville Estate).

Asking prices have varied wildly but I think the most recent house on the price reg is up at €425k (asking price was €450 before Christmas). There were approx 5 of so houses for sale earlier this year.. Quite a lot for such a small estate.

Does anyone live there or know this area, or can offer some advice?

I know it is right beside Whitechurch and that the two estates are connected with a walkway. I have driven around at different times of the day and night. There have been some teenagers hanging around (down the back of the estate)... And I noticed the remnants of some bonfires in another field. But overall it seems quiet enough. I have also heard this estate may be above the snow line, I'm not too sure how true that is?

We have two young children and this purchase will be our life long, family home, so I would appreciate any comments, views, or advice about Moyville.

Many thanks in advance ...
    (Long time lurker)

Hello BoardsBaby101,

Did you end up buying a house in Moyville after? If yes, how do you now find living there?

I am considering buying a house for our young family in this estate and would love to hear your opion.

Thanks
    ShayU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 boardbaby101

ShayU wrote: »
    Hello BoardsBaby101,

Did you end up buying a house in Moyville after? If yes, how do you now find living there?

I am considering buying a house for our young family in this estate and would love to hear your opion.

Thanks
    ShayU

Hi ShayU,

No, we didn't purchase the house in Moyville in the end.

We really weighed up our options but in the end we withdrew from the sale.

We just weren't convinced after a few late night drives around the estate. Being 100% honest the estate is connected to Whitechurch on foot and we saw too many gangs of teenagers passing through and up to no good.

I am sure Whitechurch is much more settled now as it is a mature council estate, but for the kind of current asking prices in Moyville, we couldn't take the risk. We are just after a quiet life!

I am sorry if that sounds terrible, I am just being honest.

Best of luck with your house hunting, I know it's tough!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

I'm sale agreed on a place similarly connected by a footpath through to WHitechurch but at the other end to Moyville, likely the main foot route for people from WC heading to Marlay for the gigs etc. Will post a trip report :P

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

I lived in Moyville from 2001 until June of last year. I would have no hesitation in recommending it as a place to live and have a family. In the 16 years we lived there, the proximity of Whitechurch never caused a problem. There's a good choice of schools and the bus service is certainly better than it was 10+ years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 28,719 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I'm sale agreed on a place similarly connected by a footpath through to WHitechurch but at the other end to Moyville, likely the main foot route for people from WC heading to Marlay for the gigs etc. Will post a trip report :P

If the gigs in Marlay are your only problems, you'll be grand. 5 days this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Orla875

It is 10 years I live in Palmer Park and I have never had any issues. It is a quite area with very nice neighbors. I have friends living in Moyville and they are happy there too.

The ‘bad’ reputation of Palmer Park probably comes from the past, and I would say things have changed now.

Post edited by Orla875 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,173 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Don't bounce 4 year old threads for this type of post.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement