Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slight shoulder injury - healing time?

Options
  • 24-04-2017 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭

Hi there

Strained my shoulder doing lateral raises. Got this dull ache as I was lifting and stopped immediately. The problem was I was going too heavy on my first set and I paid the price. 

It doesn't feel like it's that serious but I want to make sure I rest it all the same. Whenever I do the overhead press movement, I get a dull ache in the front of my delt (blue pic circled in the pic). 

How long should I take off...I was thinking a week but maybe it needs more time to heal? I'll probably do some foam rolling on it and stretches to help it recover

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

Consult a physio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

CWF wrote: »
    Consult a physio.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

I ignored what I considered a "niggle" for about a year, this niggle was from doing similar exercises to what you have mentioned..

ended up after seeing MRI that I have supraspinatus tendinopathy with degeneration in my mid 30s!!!

worked with physio for three months, strenghtened surrouding areas, but since there is degeneration it can come back and low and behold a year later it has..I was doing muscleups thinking everything was back to normal (yes like a dope)

hopefully yours is not serious but I would get it seen to soon.

IMO push the physio to get the MRI if you arent seeing results after a month. Physios are great but these lads need to earn a living too, so after a month although the pain wasnt as severe it was still there so I told him I think it best to get an MRI rather than coming back for another month every week at 60e a pop for what was beginning to become a PT session. MRI pinpoints exactly what the problem is. My health insurance covered it thankfully

ageing, tis no craic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭burly

guile4582 wrote: »
    I ignored what I considered a "niggle" for about a year, this niggle was from doing similar exercises to what you have mentioned..

ended up after seeing MRI that I have supraspinatus tendinopathy with degeneration in my mid 30s!!!

worked with physio for three months, strenghtened surrouding areas, but since there is degeneration it can come back and low and behold a year later it has..I was doing muscleups thinking everything was back to normal (yes like a dope)

hopefully yours is not serious but I would get it seen to soon.

IMO push the physio to get the MRI if you arent seeing results after a month. Physios are great but these lads need to earn a living too, so after a month although the pain wasnt as severe it was still there so I told him I think it best to get an MRI rather than coming back for another month every week at 60e a pop for what was beginning to become a PT session. MRI pinpoints exactly what the problem is. My health insurance covered it thankfully

ageing, tis no craic!!

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but my interest spiked when i read your post about the supraspinatus and degeneration. It sound very familiar to me.

I have a right shoulder injury which have been ongoing on and off for 4 years. best described as dull ache, impingement, cracking/clunking, instability, lack of motion, and weakness in the shoulder, which can manifest itself anywhere from pain and stiffness in the rhomboids, tenderness and trigger points along the line of the scapula, and stiffness/pain in the levators up into my neck, with sometimes spasms below the ear. An MRI two years ago revealed some bone odema but no rotator cuff tear.

I have tried numerous physios (including 8 week rehab sessions), anti-inflammatory medication and laser treatment with Pat Leahy in Hume Street. The most common culprits seem to be the supraspinatus and levator scapulae, but the biceps tendon, the rhomboids, and 'Sick Shoulder' have all been mentioned to me. Nobody seems to be able to give me a straight diagnosis.

Whats the latest on your injury? Did you see an Orthopedic Surgeon at any stage?

Advertisement