Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is how you build a subway

Options
  • 24-04-2017 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,278 ✭✭✭

LA Metro & Metrolink from 1999 to 2026. It's pretty impressive stuff but, for me, the most amazing part is that all of the recent projects have been funded because the local taxpayers voted to pay extra sales tax for transport projects.

For those of you without flash, they opened their first line in 1990. Screenshots of that and what they have today are attached.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

markpb wrote: »
    It's pretty impressive stuff but, for me, the most amazing part is that all of the recent projects have been funded because the local taxpayers voted to pay extra sales tax for transport projects.

It's quite common in the US. Sales tax is low anyway and it all stays local.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

markpb wrote: »
    LA Metro & Metrolink from 1999 to 2026. It's pretty impressive stuff but, for me, the most amazing part is that all of the recent projects have been funded because the local taxpayers voted to pay extra sales tax for transport projects.

For those of you without flash, they opened their first line in 1990. Screenshots of that and what they have today are attached.

That's now out of date. The Expo Line now goes all the way to Santa Monica! Progress all the time in LA.

See the latest maps at: https://www.metro.net/riding/maps/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Wasn't the first line a white elephant for a number of years with very little use. Was one of the Die Hard films filmed on it?

It's a great success story but took courage by politicians to persevere with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

I really feel a good underground system in Dublin would do more for the city than any other transportation project. I'm sure it would take a while to build but as the saying goes...Rome wasn't built in a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭tomfoolery60

Wasn't the first line a white elephant for a number of years with very little use. Was one of the Die Hard films filmed on it?

It's a great success story but took courage by politicians to persevere with it.

I don't think they had a choice as they have a strictly ring fenced pool of $$$ for only one purpose!

• Advertisement
Advertisement