Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo Query

Options
  • 23-04-2017 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hey tattoo experts,

I've had a tattoo in mind for several months that I would like to get done. I'm going away on a holiday soon, so I have thought about getting it done abroad.

I plan to get it inked as a sleeve on my lower leg though, as opposed to the arm in the photo below.

I'll be travelling for 3 weeks but I don't particularly want to spend half the time sitting in a tattoo artist's chair.

So I am just wondering how many hours would a project like this take??

Out of curiosity, how much would a project like this cost if I were to get it done in Dublin City Centre?

7de29b344e63a9f943c67da92a0457a8.jpg

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Terrible idea from the get go, id not get it out while travelling. It would cost at least 5 grand, or 20 quid who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

I'd agree with Raze, unless your travelling to a particular artist to get it done it's not worth getting done when your on holidays. The aftercare would make the rest of the holiday a pain. You would need to keep it out of the water and not be getting too much sweat in it. And if your thinking the full lower leg your probably looking at more than 1 session so that would mean staying in the one area to get the same tattooist to complete it.

Your best bet is to look at Artists portfolios in Ireland (Not just Dublin) and see who does good quality work in a similar style to what you are looking for, my personal opinion would be that that's not done particularly great, it's decent but there are better ones similar to that I have seen. The length of time it would take to get done? Depends on the size of your leg, your pain threshold, how long you are willing to sit for. But I'd be saying at least 2 long sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 tattoodude

Thanks guys.

Raze them all, you said it's a terrible idea but you don't give any reasons why.

Joey, I'm going to Sao Paulo and I'll be staying in the city for 3 weeks, so I would get it done with just one artist. When you say 'long sessions' is that like 6 hours each or more? I have one tattoo already (on my back) and it took 4 hours, which I got done in one session, so I guess my pain threshold is good. The size of my leg, well I'll have to measure it another time, think long and skinny!

It makes sense to get a tattoo there as I would have 3 weeks worth of free time (away from the 9-5 monday-friday rat race) and I figured it may be a bit cheaper too although I haven't really researched prices.

More thought needed :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I would consider it a bad idea. You're on holidays, unless its some world renowned artist or something I wouldn't bother. The aftercare alone would impact your holiday given the size. How long would it take is anyones guess as each artist is different.

Getting it done in one sitting is possible, getting in done over 2/3 is gonna be rather painful.

Price, anyones guess as every artist is different.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Getting it a bit cheaper shouldn't be what you're aiming for, particularly when you're looking at a fairly involved piece like that. Quality is a lot more important than saving a few quid.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ive gotten inked on holidays before.But it was an artist that I really wanted to do a piece for me.
    My Day of the Dead sleeve was started last July with the entire outline done in one sitting (7 hours)-This July Im hoping it will be finished in 2 more sittings 2 weeks apart while Im there. It was done on day 3 of my 20 day holiday.Didnt impact it at all.As long as you keep it clean,wrap it in cling film if going swimming and keep it as much out of the sun as possible you`ll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I'm a big fan of Chris Cornell too, but I'm not sure I'd get him tattoo'd on my arm...

Advertisement