Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is it so difficult to buy Game of Thrones, Season 1, to download?

Options
  • 23-04-2017 7:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

Is it particularly difficult to buy to do with the extreme lockdown of getting it for free? Every site I visit wants a UK address, or a US credit card, or my first born son - all of which will take quite a while to arrange. Back in the day I would have this already downloaded, but I literally can't pay to get it right now..

Anyway - to make this a topic - are you more in favour of buying media - music, tv shows, movies nowadays, as they are cheaper and downloading for free has become more difficult and time-consuming?

If anybody could send me in the direction of where I can just buy the fking thing in the middle of the discussion, that would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

You're paying to download Game of Thrones?

That's not very Game of Thrones like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I paid the iron price!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

So the process is a long and drawn out affair, seems apt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xaracatz

The end justifies the means.

Would be easier to go and find the cast and ask them to re-create the thing it seems.

Xaracatz wrote: »
    The end justifies the means.

Would be easier to go and find the cast and ask them to re-create the thing it seems.

Ah yes, nothing like a bit of incest right in front of your face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Ah yes, nothing like a bit of incest right in front of your face.

Hey, it's not incest if you close your eyes!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,877 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Is it particularly difficult to buy to do with the extreme lockdown of getting it for free? Every site I visit wants a UK address, or a US credit card, or my first born son - all of which will take quite a while to arrange. Back in the day I would have this already downloaded, but I literally can't pay to get it right now..

Anyway - to make this a topic - are you more in favour of buying media - music, tv shows, movies nowadays, as they are cheaper and downloading for free has become more difficult and time-consuming?

If anybody could send me in the direction of where I can just buy the fking thing in the middle of the discussion, that would be much appreciated.

So you are struggling to be legit and buy it while you could have downloaded it in the time you took to post. I'm all for paying for products but when they make it nearly impossible I'll take the pirates

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Really thought it was available on iTunes. What about the dvd box sets? Or, as others have said, do what the rest of us do.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Is it particularly difficult to buy to do with the extreme lockdown of getting it for free?

No: it's because copyright and subscription services are becoming bigger and bigger deals. HBO owns Game of Thrones and doesn't want anyone getting it who doesn't have a HBO subscription (it's known as Sky Atlantic here).

But GOT season 1 is available as boxsets: I've seen that it exists on DVD (unless this has been stopped by HBO).

I'd guess it'd be as difficult to get Stranger Things without a Netflix subscription

Cheers guys. Yeah - seems available on iTunes but that's a pain to work with Chromecast (which I got today and seems pretty cool). The whole plan was watching GoT on tv hooked to laptop.

Anyway, got a workaround. Took a while, when I would just have happily paid a reasonable amount to buy or rent quickly.

Must. Not. Watch. Episode. Three.. Work.. Tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Cheers guys. Yeah - seems available on iTunes but that's a pain to work with Chromecast (which I got today and seems pretty cool). The whole plan was watching GoT on tv hooked to laptop.

Anyway, got a workaround. Took a while, when I would just have happily paid a reasonable amount to buy or rent quickly.

Bet you watched it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

Eh, just stream it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Del2005 wrote: »
    So you are struggling to be legit and buy it while you could have downloaded it in the time you took to post. I'm all for paying for products but when they make it nearly impossible I'll take the pirates

jesus christ do xbox do this too.

they want a hotmail address to buy live gold membership. corresponding xbox id.
    everywhere selling it wanted a mobile number, wanted me to jump through 10 hoops just to buy 20 euros worth. its just a 16 number code on a screen.

you'd swear you were looking for a us visa. only short of a picture of my hole.

dear **** they made it difficult to give them money.

microsoft are creepy fckers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

The Iron Bank will have its due......

The Iron Bank will have its due......

Eventually.....maybe....they can be quite slow about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

You generally can't play downloaded stuff/local files through chromecast, just streaming and that.

Just hook laptop up to t.v. with hdmi cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

I'll leave this here

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I've only seen this thread now, but I would have let you borrow my DVD boxset :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

A "workaround" is it? :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I'll leave this here
    I don't know that I've actually held a single physical disc or DVD in over 3-4 years, being fully honest. Actually, maybe 2 or 3 on my old housemates PS4 - that's probably it though.

Mind you, £10 is a very solid price.

• Advertisement

Birneybau wrote: »
    You generally can't play downloaded stuff/local files through chromecast, just streaming and that.

You can do it fairly easily using Plex, you may need a decent computer though depending on the file formats as transcoding on the fly requires a decent bit of poke.

Birneybau wrote: »

Yah. Have Microsoft Surface, so was hdmi to Mini Display Port. Like they couldn't even come up with a catchier name for their cable-sticking-iny-area. Will get a wire, but couldn't get one yesterday so went with Chromecast.

Is cool though. And you can 'send to other screen' for anything that you can't cast.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I've only seen this thread now, but I would have let you borrow my DVD boxset :)

Danke. :)

Advertisement