Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Law or law & Business mature student

Options
  • 23-04-2017 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

I'm seriously considering going back at 28 years and doing honours degree in either of the above. I'm looking for first hand experience how viable this is as a lone parent with a 5 year old? They'll be in school and I've great family and friends support. I'd also be eligible for susi grant and on one parent family etc and subsidised childcare for afterschool etc. What was your first year timetable like and could you get some study done at home yourself the odd day, obviously not every day. Also how were tutors etc if you were half an hour late the odd morning? Looking for any advice really appreciated, need to apply this week before the late cao closes!..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

youandme13 wrote:
    I'm seriously considering going back at 28 years and doing honours degree in either of the above. I'm looking for first hand experience how viable this is as a lone parent with a 5 year old? They'll be in school and I've great family and friends support. I'd also be eligible for susi grant and on one parent family etc and subsidised childcare for afterschool etc. What was your first year timetable like and could you get some study done at home yourself the odd day, obviously not every day. Also how were tutors etc if you were half an hour late the odd morning? Looking for any advice really appreciated, need to apply this week before the late cao closes!..

Hi. I completed a honours business degree in Griffiths College. I did it by night in 3 years. I'm not a single parent but do have young kids (including one born during first year exams).
    Also have a full time job.

First year was very manageable. 2 evenings per week. I found keeping on top of notes and attending class was sufficient. 2nd year got a bit tougher with a lot more assignments to be handed up. 3rd year then was another step up with assignments plus a thesis to be completed.

I still would say that it would be manageable full time without too much hassle. Law may be tougher. We had a law module in year 1 and while it was quite interesting, there was a lot of memorising case studies etc.

We did 3 nights a week in second and third year. 3 hours a night so 9 hours per week. Think this is doubled for full time students as we went a good bit faster through material.
    Still 18 hours per week should leave time to get work done at home.

Good luck with it whatever you decide.

Advertisement