Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Common Reporting Standard

Options
  • 23-04-2017 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭

The deadline looming 1 May for submission on disclosure of foreign accounts for tax .
    I have 2 accounts one has made a gain but the other a loss . When the accounts are put together it shows that no tax is payable . I wonder is the loss taken into account in such circumstances .

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

rgossip30 wrote: »
    The deadline looming 1 May for submission on disclosure of foreign accounts for tax .
    I have 2 accounts one has made a gain but the other a loss . When the accounts are put together it shows that no tax is payable . I wonder is the loss taken into account in such circumstances .

Timing is relevant.

A loss in fy 2015 cannot be offset against a gain in by 2013.

Talk to a professional if you wish to go through it in detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Timing is relevant.

A loss in fy 2015 cannot be offset against a gain in by 2013.

Talk to a professional if you wish to go through it in detail.

The loss in one account is constant over 10 years and the gain in the other account is less than the loss each year .
    When the 2 accounts are totaled it would show a loss for CGT .

The loss in one account is constant over 10 years and the gain in the other account is less than the loss each year .
    When the 2 accounts are totaled it would show a loss for CGT .

Losses have to trigger.

Dis you have a triggering event to make these losses recognisable in each year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Losses have to trigger.

Dis you have a triggering event to make these losses recognisable in each year?

I can show the valuation each year as a loss until 2016 but the amount is still less than when I opened the account .

I can show the valuation each year as a loss until 2016 but the amount is still less than when I opened the account .

Valuations mean nothing for cgt

• Advertisement

you know what why not go to professional advice rather than sending abusive pms to people who are trying to help offer some assistance.

Advertisement