Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Affordable MDF/Plywood

Options
  • 22-04-2017 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi all,

Planned to build my child some sort of an indoor playground. Was able to source everything but mdf/plywood sheet. The sheet will be cut and used for climbing wall at an angle as well as for the base of "first floor".

So my question is: which should I use (mdf/plywood - thickness) and where are the places to buy for affordable price?

Note: looking for a sheet between 1500mm and 2000mm in length and between 600mm and 1500mm in width.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

where are you based.

keep well away from mdf. it compleete crap for what you want.
    you need ply. at least 18mm , 25mm ould be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 XDenasdc

You think so? The child is only 3 years old, not much of a weight yet, but I'm planning on keeping it for 2-3 years old.
    I'm based in north Dublin, Dublin 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

if shes only 3 you probably dont need 25mm.

you have to remember that it need to be strong enough that if a heavier kid went on it.

mdf is rubish at the best of times i wouldnt use it for anything but visual stuff. its not strong enough for longterm strength like this.

the difference between doing it righ and cutting corners might only be 15- 20 euro

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭Jamesgrace

There are different kinds of MDF and plywood, talk to a supplier like Brooks about which type to use in a specific location. The wrong type won't last long but there are options available.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

XDenasdc wrote: »
    The child is only 3 years old, not much of a weight yet, but I'm planning on keeping it for 2-3 years old.
    Might be better to plan on keeping "it" for at least 15 years

Use ply it is will hold it's shape better, mdf, chipboard etc. will all sag after a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

For a supplier I'd recommend Brooks in Finglas, find them most competitive for prices and the guys in store are very helpful and pleasant to deal with. For a price reference I bought a sheet of 18mm OSB3 2400x1200 there a while back for €19.99 but no harm going thicker for your intended purpose or supporting it with a subframe behind.
    An 8'x4' sheet is an awkward size to transport without a trailer or roof rack so bear that in mind if you've to get it delivered. Most builder providers such as Brooks, Goodwins, Chadwicks etc do delivery for an additional €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

MDF not that easy to work with without the proper tools and ventilation as the dust is toxic.
    Buy 25 mm WPB and never worry about it.
    There are different qualities.
    Sheets are 2.4m by 1.2 m

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 XDenasdc

Thank you all for your answers. I should be sorted now.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Neighsayer

I see John Gillian is getting into the 2nd hand timber business. I heard he was a handy man with a hammer and nails as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Neighsayer

Sorry John GILLIGAN

• Advertisement
Advertisement