Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Antabuse

• 22-04-2017 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

Just interested in peoples thoughts/experiences of using Antabuse as part of their sobriety. I know it's sometimes a controversial topic!

I was prescribed it before a couple of years ago, at a time when my self-hatred and self-destructive tendencies were at an all time high, so it's no wonder I drank on it. The outcome was as expected, ended up in hospital in a bad way, but no permanent damage done, thankfully.

I'm on it again now, but in a much happier, confident, content frame of mind, with my mental health about as good as it's ever been. And it's giving me that extra wee bit of peace of mind to take that half a tablet every morning, just to know that the option of drinking simply isn't even there today. (Because believe me, I don't hate myself enough any more to even consider drinking on it!)

I don't see it as a permanent solution, although I wouldn't rule anything out. I'm planning on staying on it for maybe a couple of months, perhaps just until I at least finish my work on the first AA step (me being on Antabuse is - to me - part of me admitting that I really am powerless over alcohol.) By the way, I'm particularly interested in the views of any AA members regarding using Antabuse in conjunction with the program - is it compatible at all?

I do feel like I'm taking the "easy" way out, but at the same time, it's frickin' amazing to get a bit of time and space to get some self-work done with my counsellor and sponsor, without being constantly headwrecked by the fights going on inside of me! It's so wonderful that the option of drinking is simply not there for me at the moment; to wake up in the morning thinking "I will not drink today" and not even having to question or doubt it!

Looking forward to hearing anyone's opinions/advice (PM me if you'd prefer) - I'll take them all on board!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Just interested in peoples thoughts/experiences of using Antabuse as part of their sobriety. I know it's sometimes a controversial topic!

I was prescribed it before a couple of years ago, at a time when my self-hatred and self-destructive tendencies were at an all time high, so it's no wonder I drank on it. The outcome was as expected, ended up in hospital in a bad way, but no permanent damage done, thankfully.

I'm on it again now, but in a much happier, confident, content frame of mind, with my mental health about as good as it's ever been. And it's giving me that extra wee bit of peace of mind to take that half a tablet every morning, just to know that the option of drinking simply isn't even there today. (Because believe me, I don't hate myself enough any more to even consider drinking on it!)

I don't see it as a permanent solution, although I wouldn't rule anything out. I'm planning on staying on it for maybe a couple of months, perhaps just until I at least finish my work on the first AA step (me being on Antabuse is - to me - part of me admitting that I really am powerless over alcohol.) By the way, I'm particularly interested in the views of any AA members regarding using Antabuse in conjunction with the program - is it compatible at all?

I do feel like I'm taking the "easy" way out, but at the same time, it's frickin' amazing to get a bit of time and space to get some self-work done with my counsellor and sponsor, without being constantly headwrecked by the fights going on inside of me! It's so wonderful that the option of drinking is simply not there for me at the moment; to wake up in the morning thinking "I will not drink today" and not even having to question or doubt it!

Looking forward to hearing anyone's opinions/advice (PM me if you'd prefer) - I'll take them all on board!

I think you are dead right if it works for you and you are happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Matt.ie

The only work you should be doing with this person you call a sponsor is the AA programme of recovery.

Protect yourself from aa spoofers and ppl who just want to know about your life and give you advice on subjects they have no business commenting on.
    But I suspect this sponsor is going to give you their form of recovery over the big book version,which actually works. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Matt.ie

I have never heard of the drug btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

I have never taken antabuse, but know a few who have. I met at man @ a meeting in Dublin who drank while on it and now has permanent heart damage. He was older though, near his 60's , so maybe he already had a lot of probs.

As with all things in AA, all anyone can share is their experience. Maybe there are some for whom this has "worked", but I honestly haven't met anyone who credits it with helping them much.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭bikubesong

I've never taken it but at the AA meetings I attend there are a few who are on it or have been on it in the past. My attitude is, whatever works for you!

One thing, I know a girl who was taking Antabuse and had a reaction to it after touching her face shortly after using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer, so maybe err on the side of caution with anything like that :eek:

You're absolutely not taking the easy way out IMO. You're just giving yourself the best possible chance of success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭bulbs2010

Yes it can be good to train you how to live without alcohol,once you go a while without alcohol you stop missing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭aabarnes1

Hi,
    Antabuze works on the basis of fear. Fear of the consequences of drinking whilst on it and the possible physical AND psychological damage it can and will do to your precious body and mind.
    It will not stop you craving or obsessing about a drink, if you are a real alcoholic, as described in the Big Book, this can only be brought about by a spiritual experience. Remember, the physical craving for alcohol leaves us after 3 days- medical fact, but the mental craving is more elusive and fatal.
    If you can stop drinking and obsessing about alcohol on your own will power, then you do not need AA or the program. If however you find you can not do it by yourself, then you need what we have found. That is to say we have the same problem and we have a common solution, which is the program of AA (the steps).
    AA will treat your alcoholism and shine a light on a beautiful way of living as a result of the program. It will also help you to identify other areas of your life whereby you may require 'outside help'.
    Ultimately it is your choice what path to take regarding medication, AA and counselling, personally I would not encourage the use of Antabuze. If you are at the jumping off point, if you have had enough and you are ready to surrender, then you will not need any drugs.
    I wish you the best and keep going to AA, read the first 164 pages of the Big Book( with the help of a sponsor if you can) and take it from there.

Advertisement