Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thoughts on Having Romance in Stories?

• 22-04-2017 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

So, I've never really been a romantic person. I've never been interested in getting a boyfriend, marriage or any of the sort. That goes for my writing as well. I've rarely ever put love or romance into my stroies, and so far I haven't gotten any complaints. However, a friend of mine (who is also a writer) said that I should at least attempt to write a story with some form of romance. So I did, I wrote the story that follows two characters, a man and a woman, knowing that both of them would end up romantically togther. But, despite that clear mindset, the only romance between those two was at the very end before they're killed off. They don't show any love towards each other apart from a few hugs and open conversations.
    I know that you don't need any romance to tell a good story. I'd never put in any romance into any of my previous storyies apart from parents sharing a hug or kiss or something. Me personally, don't think that romance is nesicarry for a story, but as I look at some of my favourite stories and movies (i.e Disney Movies, Naruto, Harry Potter, etc) all of them have a form of romance, and end with certain characters ending up in a relationship together. That had me thinking. In the past I could not stand love stories like Twilight (I guess that isn't really a good example since there're a lot pf people who doesn't like Twilight), but there were a few that I enjoyed, like the Notebook for example. I found it pretty enjoyable. Forest Gump was also very good. But yet again, had a form of romance, although it wasn't completely a love story. That had me realize just how many stories invlove romance. So, I'd like to know some of your opinions.
    Like I said, I believe that romance isn't nessicary to write a good story. But do you think that I should try and imporve my skills in romance? Or should I just stick to my way of storytelling and having minimal romance?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

I probably wouldn't be bothered for its own sake, but if nothing else, it might be a good way to create an extra problem & complication for the protagonist. i.e. The love interest is in trouble, or is pulling the wool over the eyes of the protagonist. Or it could present solutions to problems. Take Chinatown and The Big Lebowski, for example. The detective in each case has sex with a woman who is connected to the plot, and when they're chatting afterwards he learns important information that moves the case along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭km85264

If you don't find what you're writing interesting, if you're not passionate about it, then your reader is going to know that. If you don't find romance interesting, then stay away from it. Your job is to give life to your own characters and let them find their own course, be it intimate, antagonistic, detached or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

Stories usually need a strong relationship, but that doesn't have to be a romance - can be a friendship, or family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I have always had difficulty writing romance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I think falling in love is one of the most emotionally overwhelming experiences a person can have and that reading about it can evoke those feelings again in a reader, like watching a romantic film.

Having said that its certainly not necessary in a story.

• Advertisement
Advertisement