Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back smoking after 8 years off

Options
  • 22-04-2017 5:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

So when I was 22 I read Allen Carr's book and successfully quit smoking, no withdrawal pangs, no desire to smoke.

Fast forward 8 years and I've started again. I'm on a year off work, travelling the world and found myself smashed drunk in Bolivia in October and had a smoke. That led to smoking on nights out and now I'm smoking 10-20 a day (which is far more than when i was 22)

Since then I've tried to quit several times, rereading Allen Carr's book, reading his other longer book, trying quit smoking apps, cold turkey, etc. The longest I seem to be able to last is a couple of days this time around. Alcohol is definitely a trigger.

Constantly travelling and being around other people smoking, and people smoking when drinking has made it very difficult.

Do i just accept that while I'm traveling there is no hope of quitting or are there any other methods people have used while traveling that might help? Do i just keep rereading Allen Carr's book untill it sinks in? Medication like chapax or hypnosis aren't really an option while traveling.

I'm genuinely disgusted with myself for starting again after 8 years off them. And I really don't want to be smoking for the rest of my trip!!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

martomcg wrote:
    I'm genuinely disgusted with myself for starting again after 8 years off them. And I really don't want to be smoking for the rest of my trip!!

I'm on holiday at the moment and have done the same after two years off.

I'm back to work on Wednesday and do not plan on continuing. I stopped cold turkey the last time, hopefully it won't be too difficult for you..

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭mcgragger

wow 8 years is some achievement so you know you can do it.

You will have to try and remove the triggers maybe? Have you tried the vape.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 Owdetojoy

martomcg wrote: »
    So when I was 22 I read Allen Carr's book and successfully quit smoking, no withdrawal pangs, no desire to smoke.

Fast forward 8 years and I've started again. I'm on a year off work, travelling the world and found myself smashed drunk in Bolivia in October and had a smoke. That led to smoking on nights out and now I'm smoking 10-20 a day (which is far more than when i was 22)

Since then I've tried to quit several times, rereading Allen Carr's book, reading his other longer book, trying quit smoking apps, cold turkey, etc. The longest I seem to be able to last is a couple of days this time around. Alcohol is definitely a trigger.

Constantly travelling and being around other people smoking, and people smoking when drinking has made it very difficult.

Do i just accept that while I'm traveling there is no hope of quitting or are there any other methods people have used while traveling that might help? Do i just keep rereading Allen Carr's book untill it sinks in? Medication like chapax or hypnosis aren't really an option while traveling.

I would say its the stress and worry of travelling. When you are stressed, you think of the short time consequences of your actions and draft in help in the form of a quick remedy with long term hazards (like smoking).
    It's like soldiers at war, their worry is getting through the next day not the next 20 years. Hope you can kick the habit thought, I never smoked. If I did it would be one more nuisance like trying to find my glasses. I am 59.

tedpan wrote: »
    I'm on holiday at the moment and have done the same after two years off.

I'm back to work on Wednesday and do not plan on continuing. I stopped cold turkey the last time, hopefully it won't be too difficult for you..

It just occurred to me that there are now plenty of people around in their 70's 80's and 90's. I can only think of one who smokes, ( a lady in her 70's). could it be that smokes die earlier? Not sure, I must take note on percentages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Off them 8 years myself.

I’ve paid for it with weight gain though.

While I haven’t gone back on them it’s very tempting.

I previously gave up/went back on them and lost the weight, I’m not the only one either though.

• Advertisement

Off them 8 years myself.

I’ve paid for it with weight gain though.

While I haven’t gone back on them it’s very tempting.

I previously gave up/went back on them and lost the weight, I’m not the only one either though.

A problem with been truck driver is that you cannot get healthy food on the road. You have to park the truck which can only be done at service stations and the only food in them appears to be fries. Terrible,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Owdetojoy wrote: »
    A problem with been truck driver is that you cannot get healthy food on the road. You have to park the truck which can only be done at service stations and the only food in them appears to be fries. Terrible,

Nothing stopping them bringing a packed lunch

Tzardine wrote: »

When you head off from Mullingar on a Sunday evening bound for Rotherham Port, you will need more than tomato sandwiches and tay from a flask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Tzardine wrote: »

Brown bread sandwiches and a flask of tea or coffee and off i go, i wouldn't be into the dirty greasy stuff at all.

I'm home every night as well :cool:

Advertisement