Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treadmill vs. Running Outside

Options
  • 22-04-2017 3:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

So what are peoples opinions on Treadmill training Vs Outdoor running for the likes of 5k and 10k?

I'm just curious as I've been currently training for a sub 20 5k, 3 cardio gym sessions, which consists of 5km as fast as I can go, 10km bike ride level 12 as fast as I can go and row machine 2km, with one track session and indoor soccer session. My outdoor runs are far and few between but I usually see massive gains in time when I do them.

Was wondering does anyone else do a lot of training on treadmill over outdoor running and if so do you see results?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,998 ✭✭✭✭event

Treadmill training is no substitute for outdoor running. If your race is outside, train outside. That simple

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

neasyerac wrote: »
    So what are peoples opinions on Treadmill training Vs Outdoor running for the likes of 5k and 10k?

I'm just curious as I've been currently training for a sub 20 5k, 3 cardio gym sessions, which consists of 5km as fast as I can go, 10km bike ride level 12 as fast as I can go and row machine 2km, with one track session and indoor soccer session. My outdoor runs are far and few between but I usually see massive gains in time when I do them.

Was wondering does anyone else do a lot of training on treadmill over outdoor running and if so do you see results?

You need to do 400's etc for 5k, are you doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭neasyerac

Yes I do 12x400 with 1 minute rest on the track days other then that it's all training in the gym. Currently on 21.30 for the 5km down from 26 minutes. Obviously you can't beat the real thing on running outside but it's achievable inside also so was curious was anyone else doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭ooter

I would've never used them in the past but the last couple of months I've been using them once a week for an interval or strength session and I'm actually enjoying it, never thought I'd say that.
    I certainly wouldn't use them for any slow stuff, I'd be bored to tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

There's no substitute for the real thing.
    If your race is outside, you've got to run outside.
    I can produce some ridiculous times on a treadmill that I can't reproduce outside.
    Plus I know which treadmills in my gym haven't been calibrated in a while so there's even subtle differences between a bank of identical treadmills :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Read Krusty's log, just ran a 2:30 marathon doing the majority of his sessions on the treadmill.

I would recommend a balance and be more concerned about the type of training you are doing rather than outside vs inside. Do remember that you have no wind resistance on the treadmill so you need to increase the incline to 1-2% to counteract that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭S.L.F.

The treadmill is a life saver for me at times.
    Helpful if im having injury problems
    Great for repeats/ speedwork especially if you've no watch or access to track.
    Great if low on time
    If weather is horrendous and you're not if the mood for wading through puddles or sliding on ice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

I don't know why but my experience on treadmills seems to be the opposite of most peoples. If I do a recovery run of 6-8 km on road at a pace of 4:45-5:00 per km it feels like a fairly leisurely pace whereas when I then try to replicate this pace on a treadmill I feel like I'm almost sprinting. And that's with no incline on the treadmill.

Anyone else have this kind of experience or know why it happens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Read Krusty's log, just ran a 2:30 marathon doing the majority of his sessions on the treadmill.

I would recommend a balance and be more concerned about the type of training you are doing rather than outside vs inside. Do remember that you have no wind resistance on the treadmill so you need to increase the incline to 1-2% to counteract that.

Was going to say the same. Treadmill is great for training. It's a fantastic substitute for running outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I don't know why but my experience on treadmills seems to be the opposite of most peoples. If I do a recovery run of 6-8 km on road at a pace of 4:45-5:00 per km it feels like a fairly leisurely pace whereas when I then try to replicate this pace on a treadmill I feel like I'm almost sprinting. And that's with no incline on the treadmill.

I'm the same. I sometimes wonder how far I really am running on a treadmill as I'm always a good 20% slower on the treadmill than I am on the road covering what the machine tells me is the same distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    I'm the same. I sometimes wonder how far I really am running on a treadmill as I'm always a good 20% slower on the treadmill than I am on the road covering what the machine tells me is the same distance.

Could be how the machine is calibrated, I wear my HRM and footpod on the treadmill and find the pace and effort is pretty close.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Could be how the machine is calibrated, I wear my HRM and footpod on the treadmill and find the pace and effort is pretty close.

Must check this out the next time I'm on a treadmill - which probably won't be until the dark evenings again.

One good thing about the treadmills for me was that - this was the first year I tried them and it was also the first year I've ran consistently through the winter. So for that reason I like them. I found it hard on my ankles going back to the road though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Do people run on treadmills to avoid bad weather or something? Bit futile in Ireland, surely.

For me the fact that the 'road' is moving in your favour renders the entire exercise entirely useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Perhaps true, but if I had the facilities (a track) and a body that would handle it, I'd have done them all outside, and I like to think I'd have run at least two seconds faster. :) Also worth mentioning, I did 85%-90% of my training on the road and despise the treadmill (though kind'a like it today in a self-flagellation kind'a way).

davedanon wrote: »
    Do people run on treadmills to avoid bad weather or something?

Handy for catching up on good tv...over winter caught a few 30 for 30s, finally got round to Making a Murderer etc.

Apart from that, will only go if weather atrocious or if no one else is road running and want to push myself - I can pound it out on a treadmill harder than alone on road. It's the thought of other locals around me on their cycling or rowing machines thinking "there's Conor74, and he only jogging, and he thinks he's great". My ego couldn't take that.

But ultimately think treadmills are to road running what road running is to trails and mountains...close, but no cigar...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I am the same and I have come to the conclusion thats its in the head.

I find running on a treadmill so boring and soul destroying that running at the same pace as on the road seems really , really hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,618 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Have been doing about 30-40% of my running on a threadmill for the last year or so.

Not by choice I have to say....got pneumonia in early 2016 and was advised to avoid cold air, strong winds etc if possible. Also find it easier on my permanently borderline injured Achilles tendons.

As others have said, you can't replace getting out on the road but depending on your circumstances, it's certainly better than doing nothing imho. Very hard to say what effect it's had on my running overall but it's not a bad alternative either way.

Would equate it to a snooker player on a pool table or a golfer playing pitch and putt

Advertisement