Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 years time

Options
  • 22-04-2017 12:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭

What will the Irish broadcasting landscape be like in 10 years time ? Will the late late show still be the most watched program on Irish television ? Will RTE 2 still be showing reruns of fr ted or will the channel still exist at all ? Will saorview be the same as it is now ? Will the RTE Guide magazine still be around ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

What will the Irish broadcasting landscape be like in 10 years time ? Will the late late show still be the most watched program on Irish television ? Will RTE 2 still be showing reruns of fr ted or will the channel still exist at all ? Will saorview be the same as it is now ? Will the RTE Guide magazine still be around ?

You can bet that TV3 will still not be in HD on Saorview, whatever any other changes might happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Will the late late show still be the most watched program on Irish television?

Yes
    Will RTE 2 still be showing reruns of fr ted or will the channel still exist at all ?

Yes unfortunately Fr Ted will be on 9pm every week.
    Will saorview be the same as it is now ?

There'll have to be a revamp, and more of an attempt/lure to get TG4, TV3 channels on it as HD.
    Will the RTE Guide magazine still be around ?

I think it's the highest purchased magazine in Ireland for a long long time. Pretty sure it'll still be around.

I think the biggest threat is Amazon, Netflix, Sky, BT, Eir and what rights they'll take from free to air TV in Ireland, especially sports rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭lgs 4

This is how i see the television licence going in 10 years time .Anyone who uses a television, radio or the Internet and satellite must register with the GEZ (Geb?hreneinzugszentrale) this how its done in germany .No chance of dodging the entertainments licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

You should have asked what will irish broadcasting be like in possible 30 or 40 years time because much of the above you mentioned will most likely stay the same as there doesn't seem to be much ambition from the broadcasters to create a schedule to target different audiences. As for Saorview to be honest in this day and age it's shocking to think since the service launched no new channels have launched whether it be down to carraige fees 2rn are seeking or legislation not been put in place to encourage broadcasters to launch on the platform. I Can't see much changing in the next 10 years to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

[QUOTE=The Parish Priest.;103292299 As for Saorview to be honest in this day and age it's shocking to think since the service launched no new channels have launched whether it be down to carraige fees 2rn are seeking or legislation not been put in place to encourage broadcasters to launch on the platform. I Can't see much changing in the next 10 years to be honest.
    Surely be3 (formerly UTV Ireland) and Oireachtas channel were added after Saorview launched?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

RTE have added quite a good bit of channels since Saorview was launched since the analogue had switched off.

RTE News Now, RTE jr, RTE One+1 and their digital radio channels was added to it.

RTE Aertel Digital as well although that is to close in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

RTE Aertel Digital as well although that is to close in the future.

Thats a pity.
    A step backwards I think

Advertisement