Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for Internet while travelling?

Options
  • 21-04-2017 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

Spent a night recently in Ardmore and the Vodafone 4G coverage on our phones was shocking. Last year we had no problems with coverage so it got me thinking.

What do people use for internet when travelling the country? Is there any Mifi or wifi system that is affordable & reliable that anyone could suggest?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I saw this system while looking up Adria Twins, looks like they are pretty techy and designed a decent system that motorhomers can use.
    I have no affiliation.
    https://www.motorhomewifi.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭huddlejonny

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I saw this system while looking up Adria Twins, looks like they are pretty techy and designed a decent system that motorhomers can use.
    I have no affiliation.
    https://www.motorhomewifi.com/

They have a good article on what types of systems are available:

https://www.motorhomewifi.com/blog/internet-in-your-motorhome/

I am leaning towards the Mifi option with this and a cheapy dual antenna like this

But if anyone in the know can recommend something similar or better I would appreciate it. I would be hoping to connect 2 smartphones and 2 tablets to connect to this system for general browsing in Ireland and possibly in France / Spain on occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭sunshinereggae

Hi huddlejonny, what I use is a

Huawei AF23 3G 4G AP LTE Sharing Dock Portable 300M Wifi Wireless Router (unlocked) bought off bay I paid €14.38 and I'm using it with an
    UNLOCKED HUAWEI E173 MOBILE BROADBAND DONGLE (tmobile) bought off bay as well for €21.10
    these coupled with a THREE data sim pay as you go.
    We've had five users connected to it at times, generally just three now though.

I went unlocked on the dongle as I wanted to use any data sim but most networks will supply dongle and sim together as you probably know already, I started out with a Meteor sim but I've switched now to a Three data sim. I went for that specific dongle as I can also plug it direct into my satellite system as well. I've used it here also in UK and France, and it works well but you are dependent on how good the network signal is the same as phone data, can be excellent in some areas and poor enough in others. If you are reasonably handy with a pc or know someone who is they are straight forward enough to setup, If signal is poor I leave it on the dash or next to a window, its powered off a usb cable and I have no external antenna just the dongle, have it just over 12 months and so far so good. Advantage for us is rather than everyone using data roaming there is just one user and works out good for us and being PAYG there are no nasty surprises.

That's what we use anyway but you have a multitude of options out there
    Regards

Advertisement