Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxis Blocking Bus Stops

Options
  • 21-04-2017 3:42pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Happens a lot, but last night took the cake. The Taxi rank on Dame st had taxis back up right to the corner of George's St. There was a gap at the bus stop but not enough of a gap for a bus to pull in completely. There was a woman in a wheelchair wanting to get on. So at this point she needed help getting down the kerb and over to the bus that was only partly pulled in (its all it could do).

Bus driver had a go at one of the Taxi's blocking the lane (there was 3 within the marked bus area) but he didnt even look up from his phone.

Gardai regularly patrol the street so why the hell do we allow Taxis to block bus lanes? I'm sure it happens elsewhere in Dublin too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Park in a taxi rank and they'll have a hissi fit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It's not just bus stops. Shops, cycle lanes, driveways.

Aldi on Santry avenue is a scourge for taxis parking at the entrance. It's on a corner, it's dangerous, there's a double yellow. Law unto themselves however

• Registered Users Posts: 25,398 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Hailo (recently rebranded to 'mytaxi') is also the cause of taxis plonking themselves in all sorts of weird places in the suburbs, in the hope that someone local is looking for a taxi and calls them up using the smartphone app.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Because Garda Logic:
    If (speeding | drunk | no tax | no insurance | bald tyres | unsecured load): Fine or court
    Else: On your merry way

C9OP0WNXUAI_abk.jpg:medium
    C8kfVvRW0AIprD1.jpg:large
    C8QvI9uVoAA2dSj.jpg:large
    C8J_mADVYAUPGGL.jpg
    C8GWFAcW0AIa6e4.jpg:medium
    C76U9_RW4AA0U1k.jpg:large
    C7Eg_tIX4AATWgj.jpg:large

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,191 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

did the lad in the second last pic object to having his photo taken?

• Advertisement

did the lad in the second last pic object to having his photo taken?

Seems so
    @ccferrie
    Taxi driver yelling abuse at passing cyclists while parked on double yellows on a cycle lane on Aungier St

• Registered Users Posts: 18,968 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

coylemj wrote: »
    Hailo (recently rebranded to 'mytaxi') is also the cause of taxis plonking themselves in all sorts of weird places in the suburbs, in the hope that someone local is looking for a taxi and calls them up using the smartphone app.

Nothing wrong with taxis positioning themselves outside the city centre, once they aren't parked illegally it has to be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭nowecant

I regularly experiance this at night when I am getting a Bus on Westmorland St. Taxies love to pull in all along there to pick up fairs coming out of Temple Bar or some of the fast food establishments.

With the Luas roadworks and especially in heavy traffic they can seriously delay buses from getting to the kerb. Even a 2-3 minute delay for 10+ people getting off and maybe 20+ people getting on can quickly add up to serious time and this is just one stop.

Some bus drivers sit and wait, often with a few beeps from their horn while others stay in the outer lane and open their doors.

I really hope that when the road works are finished that this is made into a clear way with serious enforcement

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It's a fruitless task. I've seen taxis be moved (or move when they see blue lights) from stops in the city centre, do a loop or the nearest possible u-turn and settle back down in the same spot a couple of minutes later.

There's no way of policing that.

Yeah there is, double points for PSV holders and a few cans of red bull in the Pearse Street changing rooms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭dirtynosebeps

nowecant wrote: »
    Some bus drivers sit and wait, often with a few beeps from their horn while others stay in the outer lane and open their doors.
    the part i've highlighted is a real health and safety issue.
    while it might be good to stay in the outter lane (double park) and let passengers on and off.
    there are alot things to be concerned about here.
    if taxi pulls away and hits an intending passenger who trying to get on the bus in the middle of the road, bus driver at fault
    if a cyclist/motorcylist comes up between the bus illegally and double parked and hits someone, bus driver is at fault.
    there are also alot of guards who have and will happily fine bus drivers for double parking but yet turn a blind eye to the real issue.

more and more bus drivers are refusing to stop at bus stops if they're blocked. i've had this happen lots of times, and once the next driver has explained this to me yeahh even though i'm peeved i understand why they dont stop. so htey told me takes pics of the offenders at the stops and either report them to the guards or send them to your T.D.'s complaining you cant get a bus home. the more people that complain the more they'll hopefully take note.
    as simply put to me.
    would you ( me the passenger) risk someones life, or risk your own livelyhood (possibly loose your job).
    someone mentioned about a wheelchair trying to get on.
    what would happen if the wheelchair toppled over. who's at fault.
    same thing with a pram or buggy, they fall over and the bus isn't safely at the stop, who's at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

The guards couldn't be arsed policing the Dublin city streets unless it's screwing someone over for a fine.

PhilipsR wrote: »
    The guards couldn't be arsed policing the Dublin city streets unless it's screwing someone over for a fine.

If it was fines they'd be clearing them. A member could rack up ?500 in 20 mins on Aungier street daily.

Its targets and KPIs is my suspicion. They're counting the political offences and ignoring the rest as upstairs arent checking those figures.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,191 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've been on westmoreland street waiting for the 9, and have seen taxi drivers pull up to the stop - and sit there - even when a bus actually pulls up to the stop. not sure if complaining to the carriage office would have any effect whatsoever.

i've been on westmoreland street waiting for the 9, and have seen taxi drivers pull up to the stop - and sit there - even when a bus actually pulls up to the stop. not sure if complaining to the carriage office would have any effect whatsoever.

According to twitter they just say its a matter for AGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

People need to take photos like above and clearly tell them to move.

I would be jumping in the taxi if my bus drove past ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I see this all the time. Taxis sit where they're not supposed to. Garda tells them to move on without sanction. They move, only to be replaced by the next taxi once the Garda has gone.

Enforcement of sensible regulations in this country is a bad joke.

ED E wrote: »
    According to twitter they just say its a matter for AGS.
    yeah, i remember hearing that the carriage office will only listen to a complaint if you've been a passenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

boombang wrote: »
    I see this all the time. Taxis sit where they're not supposed to. Garda tells them to move on without sanction. They move, only to be replaced by the next taxi once the Garda has gone.

Enforcement of sensible regulations in this country is a bad joke.

Yes, the renowned AGS use of "discretion" which essentially adds up to doing feck all. I wouldn't mind if they actually bothered recording the details whilst exercising discretion so that the next Garda could decide that the person has been warned before and ignored warnings, but they don't because that would be like, a hassle and like work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

It's bad on Westmoreland street alright but the worst is the rank on Aston quay over at the quay wall, often a taxi will be half in the end of it or outside it altogether. Which means when the busses make the left turn from Westmoreland Street (already an extremely dangerous turn thanks to the pedestrians with death wishes) they don't have room to make the full swing around and chaos ensues in the rank. Muppets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭john boye

Deedsie wrote: »
    I was cycling out lesson street lower this evening and as I passed Fitzwilliam Hall just before Leeson Street Bridge there was a taxi parked half on the footpath half in the bus/cycle lane... I glanced in the drivers window as I passed and the driver was reading a book.

I mean he was partially blocking a bus lane on one of the busiest routes out of Dublin at 17:00 in the evening. Not a single F did he give, seemed to be enjoying the read.

Maybe he was reading the rules of the road?

Advertisement